• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Bigger Wheels, Heavier Steering?

dobboy

Hi, recently bought a CJ (don't laugh) for the GF, and thinking of putting a set of 15" SL's on it.

As it's non PAS she's worried the bigger wheels will make the steering even heavier.

Is this the case?

TIA

m@ttc

If more tyres in contact with the floor then yes.

Davy

You more than likely will notice a difference, although if you ran the original book spec 185 55 15's then that could help, tho they'll cost a little more to buy. You may also have clearance issues at the rear arches if you go to 15". The GTI's have a slightly different rear arch to make room for the 15" wheel.

dobboy

Thanks guys. i'll have a look at the arches as they are just now and take it from there.

(Prob best temporarily put my own wheels on and see how she thinks it feels.)

dobboy

I don't suppose any of you know for sure if a 15" on a 195/55 would rub on a CJ?

(the spare set of 15" wheels i have don't have any tyres on them, and the 15" wheels on my car are on the car now in the paintshop)

I'm sure i've seen a few standard 205's running the 15" wheels.... obviously i don't know if they rub or not.

would the only rubbing issue be if there was some fatty boom booms sitting in the back seat?

TIA

welshpug

they are quite a bit taller and will rub on the bumper and sill.

• Like 1

petert

I've run both 195/55 and 205/50 on my race car. They both fit but you need to be careful with wheel offsets, or else they will rub. Particularly against the passenger foot well up front when turning. Best to stick with something smaller.

• Like 1