• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Re-Routing The Copper Brake Lines By Side Of Tank

chipstick

I was laying under my car earlier assessing the situation of replacing my twin split 1.9 copper lines which I am going to replace with a single line and split off like the 1.6 uses.

The lines appear to have been replaced at some point, but none the less I'm looking forwards to seeing what condition the 2 runs to the side of the tank are like condition wise!

The 1.6 GTi has one line running down the passenger side. I was initially intending to run mine down the drivers side straight down from the master cylinder for ease. The ideal route to save me the potential shearing of studs by removing the tank, and for ease of future visual inspection would be under the tank, but I'm not sure if that's advisable.

Does the 1.6 setup originally route up to the side of the tank hidden like it does on both sides of the 1.9? Or is there a clip fitting or 2 that I'm not noticing?

welshpug

Given youve never had the tank off to asses any corrosion I think taking the tank off is a wise move.

never had any issues with the studs, clean them up beforehand and they come off easily.

1.6 rear line follows the same route as the n-s lines to the rear bracket, where a tee piece is used.

pug_ham

If you're careful with the studs & get the exposed threads as clean as you can then you should be able to drop the tank without any problems, you can follow the original route without dropping the tank though if you spend a bit of time when routing the pipe.

Run a well greased, good M8 nut up the studs first & it ought to lessen the risk of them shearing.

g

chipstick

That's a good point Mei, I should inspect the area itself for hidden corrosion.

Run a well greased, good M8 nut up the studs first & it ought to lessen the risk of them shearing.

I hadn't actualy thought of that trick Graham, so that's a handy one to know :)

Tom Fenton

Running a die up the threads first is what I would do.

chipstick

Carefully persevered with the mounting studs and got them off fine to lower the tank down.

Now I've a query regarding the 1.6 NS rear hose. I was surprised to learn that they weren't that easy to get hold of. Managed to get a Motoquip one in the end - part number VBH 496

It's the male end which goes to a T piece for which I seek reassurance. The fitting end isn't tapered to fit within the T piece as I'd expect. Perhaps my T piece isn't suitable. It's a factors one opposed to a Peugeot item.

Pictures:

A99F1600-D4E3-4D97-88EA-21DFC6F80B38_zps

7EA7A541-9722-4088-BCEC-DABC5380A141_zps

The inside of the fitting is different than a usual union so perhaps it will suffice.

03B670B6-0878-4B58-BDCA-06E9B4D64515_zps

pug_ham

Running a die up the threads first is what I would do.

If you have one or access to one, I didn't & a good M8 nut did the job fine without issue.

Carefully persevered with the mounting studs and got them off fine to lower the tank down.

Now I've a query regarding the 1.6 NS rear hose. I was surprised to learn that they weren't that easy to get hold of. Managed to get a Motoquip one in the end - part number VBH 496

It's the male end which goes to a T piece for which I seek reassurance. The fitting end isn't tapered to fit within the T piece as I'd expect. Perhaps my T piece isn't suitable. It's a factors one opposed to a Peugeot item.

I had a similar issue when fitting one of these hoses to my 1.6 a couple of years ago & could source one before I wanted the car for the lakes trip.

I ended up using an M10 union in the T piece & a standard base / 1.9 rear hose around the beam but struggled to get it to seal at first, I had to trim the hose end so the union seated fully home because it was bottoming out on the hose end & letting fluid past but once I'd done this it sealed fine.

The end of the hose should bottom out in the T so it ought to seal properly.

Check it against the oe T piece & hose if you can.

g

chipstick

I've some taps but no dies so I used a greased nut as you suggested Graham, and they came off without shearing. Has to use a bolt grip on one as I rounded it using a 12 sided socket due to not having a deep 6 sided 13mm. Without the grease tip I imagine they would have sheared as they were very rusty and still took some undoing. So thanks for that :)

Hose wise it appears to have sealed so far so fingers crossed for that!