• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

Lotus Elise Calipers With 24Mm Master Cylinder

fliprio

I currently have gti-6 brakes with the 24mm master cylinder change.

I'm looking at using the Lotus Elise calipers, has anyone tried these calipers with the 24mm master cylinder as it seems the standard master cylinder is probably closer to the original 1.9 set-up with comparable caliper piston sizes between the 1.9 and lotus calipers?

I'm wondering if the pedal will just feel way too hard with the 24mm master cylinder.

fliprio

it looks like the compariative piston sizes are 44mm for the elise calipers vs 57mm for the Gti-6 calipers so quite a big difference

GilesW

Aren't these opposing piston?so 2 x 44.

Will they fit behind standard wheels?

fliprio

Yes two pistons, in terms of pad force area it's the same as a single pot sliding caliper so you can compare piston size, but in terms of fluid movement it's going to be different. It seems a big difference going from the 48mm 1.9 calipers to the 57mm gti-6 calipers in terms of pedal travel, but not sue if this has the same effect on a 2 or 4 pot caliper.

5mm spacer needed for standard wheels I think, there is a guy on eBay that sells the brackets for a reasonable cost, only downside is the discs are the 206 gti 180 discs which are 1.5 kg heavier than the gti-6 discs which are heavy to start with.

welshpug

with opposing pistons you discount one side.

A standard 19 or 20.6mm MC would be a good place to start.

unless you can really make use of the extra leverage from larger diameter discs I would be inclined to try and make use of the later 34mm offset 266x22mm pug/citroen brake discs.

GilesW

Doh! oh course

fliprio

unless you can really make use of the extra leverage from larger diameter discs I would be inclined to try and make use of the later 34mm offset 266x22mm pug/citroen brake discs.

I think the callipers need 26mm wide discs, unless you shim the pads

Jez G

Lotus discs are 26mm. I have this set up on my car. The OE master cylinder is the best one to use.

fliprio

Lotus discs are 26mm. I have this set up on my car. The OE master cylinder is the best one to use.

since I spent ages changing over the master cylinder, I think I will have to look at other callipers which better suit the 24mm master cylinder.

Thanks for the info though.

fliprio

it seems the Hi Spec Ultralite 4 with mi16 mounts will fit straight on with the 266x22mm disc, at £110 a calliper, this seems a good option and the cylinder area seems more suited to the master cylinder I have.

big weight saving as well, the 266mm discs are ~5kg which is getting on for a kg less than the gti-6 discs and then callipers are 4 to 5 kg lighter

rallyeash

I used to run hi spec ultra lites on 266mm pug discs and were great

fliprio

I used to run hi spec ultra lites on 266mm pug discs and were great

they sound like a good set-up for the money, you did yours with custom brackets didn't you as apposed to the mi16 lug mounts?

I just need to find some pads that have good cold bite for sprints

yippeekayay

I have the lotus calipers about to go on my 1.9 but they are proving very difficult to find the correct offset discs to fit them. We have tried a set of 266 1.9 discs and 306 rallye and neither have come close.I want to use them as they look great but if its not practical then gti6 set up seems the way to go. Havent tried yet but 206 gti 180 discs have been hinted at what I need but they appear to be very similar to the rallye set up. 307hdi 283mm discs. Anyone got an idea of the offset?? Chris who I bought them from reckons that they came with 266mm hdi 307 discs but judging by pad wear it they hardly used half the pad width /face

post-14751-0-42414800-1401015392_thumb.jpg

Edited by yippeekayay

welshpug

Try the later 266 mm discs, 7mm taller offset.

yippeekayay

Any bigger diameter same offset you know of mei?? And what master cylinder for a non abs car do you reckon. Got 406 v6 and gti6 one but both are abs.

welshpug

Add tee pieces or get a 4 port, easy to find, ask Dan ;)

not sure on specific offsets and diameters

fliprio

I have the lotus calipers about to go on my 1.9 but they are proving very difficult to find the correct offset discs to fit them. We have tried a set of 266 1.9 discs and 306 rallye and neither have come close.I want to use them as they look great but if its not practical then gti6 set up seems the way to go. Havent tried yet but 206 gti 180 discs have been hinted at what I need but they appear to be very similar to the rallye set up. 307hd

i 283mm discs. Anyone got an idea of the offset?? Chris who I bought them from reckons that they came with 266mm hdi 307 discs but judging by pad wear it they hardly used half the pad width /face

where did you get the brackets from? The brackets I found were made to fit the 206 Gti-180 283x26mm discs with the 34mm total height

yippeekayay

Brackets came straight off a 1.9 hub thats on gti6boys car when chris had it. Unfortunately I forgot to have the discs....

allanallen

Who's brackets do they use?

We've just put a set on a car using torquesuk brackets and they use 283x26mm discs with a 34.5 offset, found on 307, xsaras, c4s etc etc

fliprio

Who's brackets do they use?

We've just put a set on a car using torquesuk brackets and they use 283x26mm discs with a 34.5 offset, found on 307, xsaras, c4s etc etc

thanks the ones I had found

yippeekayay

any idea where to get pads for these calipers... fast road use? mei.... 180 gti discs fit with 5mm spacers needed on 1.9 rims.... what were you advising what age 307... need to order this week to stand a chance of making pugfest??

Jez G

This is what I have in mine. I also have some pads in 4139 material if you still need some.

post-7026-0-39992600-1404575198_thumb.jpg