• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roccorich

Any Aftermarket Springs That Actually Work?

roccorich

Has anyone found any aftermarket springs that actually give a standard height?

Cheers

Rich

dcc

Why not go for standard springs?

nick205

Hi,

I fitted KYB springs, which I was convinced rode high at the front. I actually contacted KYB UK who confirmed the free length and coil dia. were correctagainst OEM spec springs. What they couldn't confirm was the actual poundage, which, if too high, would make the car ride high.

Having visited SSP Engineering last Friday and had my rear beam fully rebuilt and set to standard ride height, the car now looks correct front and rear. Higher perhaps than you might expect, but level and I have to say it rides and handles perfectly, really supple and balanced (every suspension and steering component is new BTW).

I think part of the issue is that so many cars are lowered it's unusual to see one at standard height, therefore they look high.

I'll get some pics up at lunch time as I drove it to work today.

roccorich

Ive just fitted a gti beam that is set to standard height to my CTI and its definitely too high at the front....

I'll get a picture now

roccorich

20140519_114544.jpg

Looks rather silly...

nick205

Remember that the front wheel arch is higher than the rear arch to start with, which accounts for the difference front to rear. Haven't been outside yet to get a pic of mine.

camgti

That looks about right for the Pic of the red CTI. They seem high compared to modern cars.

They handle SO well at the height with everything else in top notch!

Cam

roccorich

The front is right for a CTI and the rear is right for a GTI.

My problem is they do not have the same ride height hence why I'm looking for GTI springs.

Its really obvious when you see it in person that the car is leaning back, but the photo doesn't show it very well.

it definitely wasn't like this before I changed the beam and I've measured the rear damper bolt centre to centre and its definitely at standard height for a gti as per Anthony's measurements.

Anthony

It does look a little high at the front - they do sit high when standard, but not quite that high IMO.

You could just raise the beam a little I guess to level it out - something around 327mm would probably work to match the front, as that'll raise the back 12-15mm or so from where it is now

roccorich

If you look at the sills against the curb you can see its on the piss.

Rock Lobster

I had this problem too and ended up going back to the old springs after my suspension rebuild, I have yet to find and fit a good replacement standard spring, I couldn't stand looking the car sat up that high!

roccorich

Thats still sat on the original CTI springs so don't know if the KYB ones will be any lower than that.

Slo

I would say your rear is spot on there mate and the front is far too high. Here's mine after fitting my original cti springs to gti struts after finding out that the gti struts came with lowering springs on em and caused the tyres to rub on the arches.

IMG_20130804_161852_zps9a121942.jpg

roccorich

Just bought some 309 gti springs so hopefully they will give it a nice height at the front.

Anthony

I would say your rear is spot on there mate and the front is far too high. Here's mine after fitting my original cti springs to gti struts after finding out that the gti struts came with lowering springs on em and caused the tyres to rub on the arches.

Isn't that with a boat anchor XU10 fitted though? The extra weight will lower the front noticeably compared to an alloy 8v lump - certainly that looks to be sat lower than a standard car/engine/spring combo would.

farmer

Has a dog munched on the mud flaps, like the gearknob on here a few months back? :P

Slo

Isn't that with a boat anchor XU10 fitted though? The extra weight will lower the front noticeably compared to an alloy 8v lump - certainly that looks to be sat lower than a standard car/engine/spring combo would.

Hmmm yeah that's a good point Antony :blush: , here's one the day i bought it with 1.9 alloy 8v in it.....

006_zps5e4edd7e.jpg

roccorich

And thats the original CTI beam in the second photo?

Slo

Has a dog munched on the mud flaps, like the gearknob on here a few months back? :P

They aren't original flaps on the car they look like something you'd see on a toyota back in the day.

And thats the original CTI beam in the second photo?

Yes original, I've never taken it off,not yet anyway and to be clear that old picture was taken at an angle it's not on a slope as steep as what it appears.

farmer

Don't mention the "T" word on here, remember what happened last time. :ph34r:

Slo

Haa haa yeah, what I mean is they're peugeot flaps, just don't think they are gti ones because they don't have that rectangle embossed in them near the bottom so they're a bit of an eyesore.

Looking at the day i got it that flap is complete there so I must have murdered it at some point.

farmer

Least it catches some mud I guess.

Still get £50 for it on EBay

• Like 1

roccorich

The back certainly looks lower in the first one and the second one is exactly how mine was before I changed the beam.

It will be a couple of weeks before I get round to fitting the 309 springs but I'll get some pictures when I do.

Slo

Jeez I jst thought of something else too it had 14 inch peppers on with 70 wall tyres on, those 3rd party wheels are 15 inch and have 50 wall tyres on.

She's wearing speedlines right now i'll go take a pic 2 tix

Slo

Cant do a picture right now cos my phone camera seems to be not working sorry