• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Is A De-Pas Rack An Issue For Mot?

johnnyboy666

Ive got a pas rack fitted at the moment with the ram still attached but the hose connections blanked off until I get chance to fit the pump.

A slight oversight on my part, as i thought the MOT was next month but its this month.

Will i need to fit the pump etc sharpish or will it be ok for the mot?

hoodygoodwood

Will be interested to see what the situation is with this steering rack , I have built up a manual rack out of a PAS one for my 309 GTI project .I have removed the ram and the fixing that it bolts to and fitted 2 new gaiters so it looks like a normal non PAS rack .The pinion housing still has the hose connections but I was going to blank them off with plugs . The entire pump and hose setup will be removed giving no clue that it was ever assisted .

I will drop a PM to a guy I know who is an MOT tester .

Has anyone ever done a rolling road test on a car with/without PAS to see how much power is sapped by the pump , at a guess 1 to 3 BHP ?

welshpug

Mine passed fine last year.

Simes

My old one used to pass.

Not all MOT testers are so kind.

Paul_13

My mot tester isn't so kind

jackherer

It's definitely a fail but some testers will ignore it and many will just not notice in my experience.

johnnyboy666

Hmm better not risk it then unless I dont get chance or the pump doesnt work (untested since I bought it last year! )

Im sure it cant take that long to plumb it in, mount the pump and wire it all up.

Although ill probably hit a snag along the way somewhere

Daviewonder

I got questioned about mine but when I explained he passed it.

johnnyboy666

As i predicted, I have hit a snag. I cant figure out anywhere to mount the pump! Any ideas? I just had a go at getting it on the drivers side where the jack used to be, just managed to squeeze in in there, but the hoses get in the way of the bonnet stay

jackherer

I've always moved the battery to the boot and put the pump on the battery tray instead, some people have kept the battery and mounted them further back from there on the chassis leg where it meets the bulkhead.

Tom Fenton

It fits lovely on the chassis leg passenger side behind battery.

johnnyboy666

The battery tray was my initial thought, but haven't got time to move the battery and my hose isnt quite long enough to reach that chassis leg.

Ive managed to shoe horn it in the jack place, but I've got to move the fuel filter somewhere now.

Also does anybody know what relay i need? Ive got the wiring loom and there is a relay socket on it (at least i think thats what it is) but no relay

johnnyboy666

Found a relay now- Cartier 03653 45a.

Hopefully that's the right one!

johnnyboy666

made another cock up, I forgot that the fluid bottle needs to be above the pump to be able to bleed properly, I was going to fit it so the cap was in the drivers side hole in the slam panel, but had to use some extra hose to move it over in front of the battery instead, which isn't ideal, but it'll do for now. I couldnt get hold of a 106 fluid bottle for some reason, so I'm using one from a bmw mini, which I think probably holds a fair bit more fluid

post-9599-0-71853500-1400443043_thumb.jpg

johnnyboy666

post-9599-0-55251400-1400443215_thumb.jpg

johnnyboy666

Well the set up above pics made the system impossible to bleed and I had to pull it all out again and ended up just blanking the rack off, the result at the MOT was:

Advisory- 'Power steering disconnected with no adverse effects'