• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

How To Raise The Front End? Tallest Springs That'll Fit A 205

johnhenry

Evening all

Another mongol rally related thread;

We are going to attempt to lift the front end to give more ground clearance, and also make it handle like a boat more :D

What are the longest/tallest springs that are going to fit?

Ive been trying to think of the tallest springs from the 205(and other similar) family. Diesel 205 springs are stronger so will set it higher? anything else higher than that, something out of a berlingo or partner maybe?

Cheers

John

welshpug

berlingo/partner springs will fit, there are some 205 part numbers shared with the 306 which is what the vans are based on.

johnhenry

I remember reading this, I think I have the same set of springs in the garage as I had this exact problem!

johnhenry

berlingo/partner springs will fit, there are some 205 part numbers shared with the 306 which is what the vans are based on.

Ill pop down the motor factors tomorrow and get some spring heights on some of the partner spring heights :)

anything bigger maybe? 806?

welshpug

I doubt the dampers would cope! a 405 uses particularly long springs, but again, you'll be working well beyond what a 205 damper is made for.

johnnyboy666

I fitted 306 gti6 front shocks and springs to a 205 once, that gave a hilarious lift!! I think the shocks were slightly longer in the body as well as the springs being longer. Maybe non-gti 306 are even taller?

Miles

Doesn't matter on the springs, You want a damper with a long stroke

Slo

cti springs make the ride height taller don't they?

johnhenry

valid point on the dampers. ill ask about non gti 306 dampers tomorrow, see if i can get some lengths :)

roccorich

I'm after some GTI springs for my CTI if you want to swap?

Can send a picture of it sat with GTI beam height at the back and CTI springs at the front for a good comparison.

Cars got a D6B 1.9 in aswell so if you've got a 1.6 you may sit even higher.

calvinhorse

405 ones are huuuuuge! 405 dampers are also longer and will fit but have no ARB mount or brake pipe mount

• Like 1

bondo

I can't help with the technicals, but to hear someone wanting to raise the ride height of a 205 is a joy to my ears.

I am so fed up with the VW stance slammed bollox.

The suspension on these car was designed by old french dudes who were wise in these matters, not some spotty yoof with short legs who wants it to look all hood innit.

OEM is the way. (or a bt taller if you like endangered Chinese black and white bamboo-chewing bear things).

johnhenry

405 ones are huuuuuge! 405 dampers are also longer and will fit but have no ARB mount or brake pipe mount

I have heard/been told loosing the front ARB would help traction/grip on dirt/gravel. Would be good for its trip to mongolia over rough roads which we will get stuck on?

welshpug

given its a base model 205, you can't really lose the ARB as its a TCA setup and the ARB does the fore/aft location of the wheel!

they don't use droplinks.

Davy

..Just a thought.. and maybe a completely daft one at that, but if it's going to see a lot of miles while being lifted, then is that going to be harder on CV joints?... Maybe it wouldnt be a problem at all, but might want to jack it up to the height you'd be hoping for and take a look at the angle the shafts would be sitting at? I only say this because in my younger, more foolish days while arsing about in the snow, spinning up through the gears with a bit of lock side to side, I ended up wrecking two outer joints in a matter of minutes. :(

..p.s, the rally sounds like good fun!

Edited by Davy

Davy

..actually, the more i think about it it probably wouldn't come to any harm. The increased angle would be nothing compared to when steering's turned fully!..

calvinhorse

If you're doing it on a budget I'd go for-

good set of gti shocks (oil not gas)

1.1 205 springs

13" Rallye wheels or similar.

biggest tyres you can fit, 175-75-13

I had a 1.1 with this set up and it went everywhere! Thinking about it I want to build another one!

Rjuhar

If you're going to fit springs from a heavyer car you will get the ride hight but definitely will not get 205 to behave like a boat rather more like a monkey with wooden legs climbing a tree as they are far too stiff for a fetherlite 205.

I'd go with original 1.1 springs, coil spring spacers in combination with longer shocks (depending on how high you want to make it). That should give you the (more or less) same ride quality, only little less stability and a lot better ride hight.

HPIM0539.JPG

Just an -off question but how do you intend to make it roadworthy?

Edited by Rjuhar

Rippthrough

..actually, the more i think about it it probably wouldn't come to any harm. The increased angle would be nothing compared to when steering's turned fully!..

It will when the wheel is turned too!

johnhenry

Thanks for all the pointers!

regarding knackering CV joints, is there known point at which they're damaged much faster by lifting the ride height?