• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

1.9 Brakes And 13" Steels

Lowercase

As title really,

does anyone know if 1.9 gti brakes will fit under 13" steel wheels?

my XE needs bigger brakes as its lethal at the moment, but i don't want to go any bigger than 13" steels if i can help it.

Rjuhar

They won't.

Lowercase

cheers for the quick reply mate. i thought that might be the case.

has anyone got any recomendations on the best brake set up i can squeeze under the steelies?

welshpug

The Rallye (proper TU24 one) used 1.6 hubs discs and brakes under a 13" wheel, so if they don't fit its only the lateral clearance to the wheel not radial clearance, a 10mm spacer should see you good as that's the difference in the height of the 1.6 hub & disc.

Rjuhar

from original ones I know that my original Ph1 1.6 GTI can stand on 13s, I do not know though what brake setup this would be.

Lowercase

do you think my XE and my old uk spec rallye shared the same front brake set-up?

welshpug

yes they did, both base model non vented low offset, proper rallye used the 1.6 setup.

Lowercase

ah i see. im not sure why my XE's (1ltr) brakes are so much worse than my rallyes (1.6) given that they have significant power differences.

I have a spare basemodel subframe i was going to refurb and build up with new bushes etc and switch over with new coilovers and 1.9 brakes onto the basemodel hubs.

can i just fit a gti arb and 1.6 hubs/brakes onto my basemodel subframe and save myself having to chop and weld the gear link mount, or is their significant differences in the subframes?

sorry for the captain stupid questions... just trying to improve matters best i can for the least amount of cost and faffing about...

welshpug

the rear wishbone pivot point isn't present on the base model subframe, however its not difficult to bend some steel to shape and weld it in place really.

• Like 1

Lowercase

cheers for the knowledge dude!

right so, i think my best route is to do:

Basemodel Subframe

Basemodel ARB and Wishbones

Basemodel Hubs

New Bushes etc.

AP Coilovers (affordable and used them before with no complaints)

1.9 GTI Brakes discs and pads.

14" Steels - small compromise to make for having a stopping distance of less than 100 meters

eventual plan is to fit a rebuilt xs engine so the demands on the brakes will never be too stupid anyway.

ill replace the rear beam with a 1.6 gti beam in due course.

should make for a fun little car. :)

GeorgeXS

You have another option regarding brakes. Your base model brake calipers are the same as the 1.6 setup, just the 1.6 setup has a wider pad carrier to accept the vented disk. If you change the pad carriers over to the 1.6 ones, then the 1.9 disc happens to be the perfect offset.

So potentially an upgrade to vented discs for a pad carrier and some new 1.9 discs.

• Like 1

Lowercase

george your a legend.

so basemodel hubs and calipers.

1.6 gti pad carriers.

1.9 vented discs and im guessing 1.6 pads?

Lowercase

ive also just remembered that 106 gti calipers will fit too. so i might give that a look too.

GeorgeXS

Yep exactly, I planned to do this to my XS when I had it, bought the calipers but never got around to doing it before I sold the car.

• Like 1

Loose Hand Luke

Sorry to jump in but what is the 106 caliper option?

Lowercase

word on the street is that the calipers from a 106 gti/saxo vts will fit basemodel hubs.

they might be the same brakes as found on the 206 gti 138/xsi as well but dont quote me on that.

worth a bit of homework though

RossD

The 106 setup is also used on the 306, it uses ATE calipers with a 247mm vented disc (same as 1.9 GTi discs).

Got this on mine and it seems perfectly adequate, even with my 1.6 throttle bodied 145bhp engine.

Look on the phase 1 306 DTurbos, 1.6 petrols, 106 rallye phase 2 etc etc.

Edited by RossD
  • Like 1

jackmorris

Sorry to hijack the thread, just to confirm, 1.9 discs with 1.6 calipers and pads will fit under 13s? Also have an XE that needs new brakes but just bought fresh tyres so would rather not move to 14s yet, will be adding more power at some point as well so gti setup is ideal.