• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Paint Colour V's Trim Restorer (Ph1/1.5)

dobboy

Sometime last year i got two paints mixed up for the plastics on my car. I got a grey colour mixed for the tailgate trim, and a much darker colour to do everything else, arches, mirrors, sunroof trim etc etc. (my car's a Ph1.5 and i'm aware this isn't the colours it should be)

A week ago or so i got a painter to quickly spray a spare bit of kit i had just so i could see how it looked.

I accidently gave him the paint that i had got mixed for the tailgate, to paint an arch.

post-23841-0-49500100-1398069638_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if someone who has used the trim restorer on a Ph1/1.5 bit of arches kit could comment on how the painted arch in the picture looks compared to a piece of kit that they have used the restorer on?

timoth123

I've used the grey plasticare and have found it to be rather light compared to what it should be.

It does come out Matt though. Your painted but does look abit shiny, or is that just the camera?

dobboy

Thanks.

The paint has a little bit of shine, exaggerated a little bit by the sun, looks kind of like if you put a product on plastic. I don't think you would know it was painted by looking at it.

Does the paint colour look darker to you than what you think plasticare would do?

timoth123

Paint colour definetly looks darker. The pic below you can see my door handle that's done in grey plasticare. Much lighter than yours I think.

673D16A0-25B0-43D8-8093-DC77E621B2CB_zps

But finding the right ratio and mixing in some black with the grey would work well I think.

dobboy

Thanks Tim, I think the paint looks the more accurate to what it should be. I compared the paint to the backside which is unfaded, and its near perfect.

Need to speak to the paint mixer to see if it could be milked further to reduce the sheen a little bit.

No offence but I thought the plasticare would look better.

timoth123

No offence taken mate. I agree with you.

Got some peugeot aerosol paint on the way to me that they used to paint certain bits of trim. I'm told its a perfect match so will be doing all of my trim in that instead of plasticare.

deathbringer929

Need to speak to the paint mixer to see if it could be milked further to reduce the sheen a little bit.

just need to add matting agent. easy for any painter. my ph1.5 kit and bumpers had faded awfully and differnt shades all round the car. painted mine a bmw plastic colour which was an identical match. you should be able to see a paint factors and some matt colour chits quite easily.

and dont forget to use primer first!!

timoth123

I used the genuine peugeot trim paint they used on rear quarter badges on a few trim bits, it's come out very good indeed!

3bfd245ddee018ff01cd30087e89eb3f_zps57a5

dobboy

Tim, yeah that looks great!

Nice and matt too.

Can you post the part No.?

I might get a tin and compare to the colour i have.....yours is definately mattyier lol, but i don't think there is much between the two colours.

Can't remember for sure but I think i might have actually asked the paint mixer to make it look as though it had had a polishing product on it like back to black or something, so maybe that's why mines has the sheen.....

Please let us see if you do any more bigger bits.

dobboy

Tim, did you take that little bit of trim off the cap no probs? or did you mask etc?

dobboy

Tim, was this the code you used?

9860-71

timoth123

Hello mate, yeh that bit is just clipped onto the filler cap. I just popped it off so no need to mask up.

I've already done the majority of the trim. I'll get some more pics and the number from the tin when I get to the workshop later on.

dobboy

Thanks Tim.

I found part number and ordered a tin. My painter says he'll spray a bit with the can then get some of it mixed as it would be too expensive to do my stuff in cans. He recons £20 worth of it will do the lot.

Please post any pics you have.

timoth123

Here ya go.

Top one is obviously the painted one. They both looked like this though to start with.

0420A1A8-F8B4-41C5-903D-BBA5EF51AF61_zps

7317A25E-C227-4A10-9714-377CF85390BD_zps

And the can

37DF2960-ACAA-4601-A051-3D7BACB17C18_zps

dobboy

Yeah Tim it looks brilliant. That should revitalise your car.

Certainly beats the trim restorer by the looks of it too. Looks a little lighter than mine too and zero sheen.

I'll get my Pug can early this week. I had planned to go darker than Ph1.5 but lighter than Ph2.

Need to have a rethink.

Thanks for the pics.

timoth123

Yeah it's come out nice. I still think it's a little light than it should be to original. But it's definetly better than the restorer like you said.

I'll be able to confirm this when I fit my brand new quarter badges and compare them next to each other.

Edited by timoth123
  • Like 1

dobboy

Maybe Tim.

Perhaps my colour with no sheen is closer?

Must be the light, but your cap looks a shade darker than arch.

Did you give the can a right good shake?

timoth123

Yeh it's definetly the light. Both painted at the same time with the same can.

Slo

Does peugeot paint have some magical ingredient that stops it flaking off plastic? I did all mine in halfords satin black and it looked a million dollars and it started to develop tiny holes all over after a few months and a quick jetwash took the lot off :lol:

farmer

Plastic prime gents PLASTIC PRIME :lol:

Slo

Did all that mate I think its just halfords paint is really s*it to be honest :lol: laquer even worse

farmer

You get what you pay for.

Genuine all the way.

Slo

Im witg you on genuine all the way however i think dyeing instead of risking it with the paint would be better, certainly cheaper

farmer

For me I found the Plasticare stuff poor.