• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Paint Colour V's Trim Restorer (Ph1/1.5)

dobboy

Tim, for interest here's a picture of an arch with a small part with trim restorer on it compared to the trim i got painted.

I should be collecting the Pug paint today as they had a glitch with getting it.

I'm gonna see how the pug paint looks, but will probably get paint mixed to similar in colour to the pice i have put trim restorer on.

You can see in the top left the colour of my trim prior to trim restorer, just thinking your stuff may get more bleached than mine as we get 5hit weather all year.

post-23841-0-33368600-1400489314_thumb.jpg

Daviewonder

Here ya go.

Top one is obviously the painted one. They both looked like this though to start with.

0420A1A8-F8B4-41C5-903D-BBA5EF51AF61_zps

7317A25E-C227-4A10-9714-377CF85390BD_zps

And the can

37DF2960-ACAA-4601-A051-3D7BACB17C18_zps

Did you use plastic primer Tim?

dobboy

I did a test with the pug paint v's my mix v's trim restorer.

Have to say the pug paint is very light and the trim restorer nothing like the pug paint colour.

The pug paint is as matt as paint comes, and i think it would be easily marked.

My mixed paint is near identical to the correct plastic colour, except too much sheen.

I've spoke to my painter who has spoken to the supplier, and they can get me paint with a texture additive, but it has to be mixed up last minute and used right away as the additive means a very short shelf life.

There is also a few things differently the painter has to do applying it.

dobboy

Davie, iirc the tin states that it is ideal for painting plastic.....not sure if it's implying no primer is required, but i would think you would need to spend a bit of time cleaning thoroughly with panel wipe to make sure there was no historical chemicals/treatmenrs etc on the plastic before painting it without primer.

GLPoomobile

When you mention trim restorer, what product are you referring to?

I'm still very dubious about painting the plastic. My own is an utter mess as somebody painted it in the past and it started flaking off after I bought the car. It's patchy as hell. Of course, I don't know what prep was done or if a primer was used, but still I just don't trust painted plastic textured trim. It might be fine for a few years, but if it does start to flake, it's an utter arse to remove it all and start again.

dobboy

GLP, i mean the pasticare stuff. Don't get me wrong it does look good and even, but it's a mile away from the colour it should be imo.

You could probably get your old paint stripped off easily with an orbital sander and paint them again?

I got the centre caps for my wheels stripped with HP water and it done a great job.... not sure how long it would take a kit to do right enough and it would need to be off the car.

welshpug

A few have tried a mix of grey and black plasticare with good results, i agree the straight grey is a bit light but if the whole lot is done its not that noticeable.

GLPoomobile

You could probably get your old paint stripped off easily with an orbital sander and paint them again?

Then they'd no longer be textured.

I did manage to take the worst of it off before Plasticaring it all, using scotch pads. But it became a balancing act of rubbing far enough to get the paint off without actually losing too much of the texture. On one corner of my front bumper I went to far and it's lost a lot of the texture.

However, that was before I had access to a pressure washer. I've still got messy bumpers as I didn't fully Plasticare those, so I will try a pressure washer on them in the future.

Slo

+1 on the jetwash, it took all the paint clean off mine on contact :angry:

dobboy

+1 on the jetwash, it took all the paint clean off mine on contact

Then they'd no longer be textured.

I did manage to take the worst of it off before Plasticaring it all, using scotch pads. But it became a balancing act of rubbing far enough to get the paint off without actually losing too much of the texture. On one corner of my front bumper I went to far and it's lost a lot of the texture.

However, that was before I had access to a pressure washer. I've still got messy bumpers as I didn't fully Plasticare those, so I will try a pressure washer on them in the future.

:angry:

GLP, you need to watch sanding/prepping the bumpers, and probaby HP water too but not to such an extent. I've put quite a few unfortunate ebay bumper buys through my chop saw so i can toss them in the local tip. If you don't know, the bumper grey you see is a thin coating, the main element of the bumper is fibreglass i think (iirc), and smells like celluloise (iirc) when you cut through it...... it's light colourered after the grey.

I've also tried the heat gun method on a spare bit of 205 kit, it didn't work, it did work on my Connect van though..... but the results were short lived.

That's why i'm going for textured paint.

dobboy

A few have tried a mix of grey and black plasticare with good results, i agree the straight grey is a bit light but if the whole lot is done its not that noticeable.

WP, on one of the pics i posted above, i'm sure it was a dab of "grey" plasticare on Ph1.5 trim. I thought the result was too dark for Ph1.5

If i was being really really pernicity i would say on the sample i done the trimcare made it look dark grey with an underlying brown, where i think a 1.5 should be a light(er) grey with an underlying blue.

Daviewonder

If anything grey plasticare is a little on the light side.

dobboy

If anything grey plasticare is a little on the light side.

Look at post 26, i'm almost certain it was the grey version and definately on a bit of 1.5 kit.

i'll confirm though.

Have you got a pic of your findings?

Daviewonder

No but I can take one over the weekend.

dobboy

No but I can take one over the weekend.

Cool and the gang.

Supersport2

Can I ask how far a tin went? Roughly how many would I need for the full kit, bumpers and sunroof trim?