• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

Ebc Redstuff Brake Pads Squealing?

ATK

Had EBCs put on all round, original discs are in good shape.

Work well but coming to a stop they are squealing loudly. Do they take a while to bed in or something?

audiobull

from experience they will always be like that on the road. great on track as they get alot hotter and do not seem to squel. hopefully someone can confirm. i tried loads of copper grease and they still squelled for me. different car however.

welshpug

red in a road car?! :blink:

jack-da-stripper

I thought green and red where for road and yellow and blue was for track ?

ATK

Yeah thats what I thought. Red and green are both fibe for road use? I had redstuff in my Civic Type R which was a road car and they were great. Can't recall whether they sqealed at first though.

cRaig

From the EBC website:

"Redstuff brake pads are however as a harder compound does take longer to fully bed in to achieve its highest levels of performance (can be up to 1500 miles/2500 Kms urban use) during which time the odd “Chirp” of brake noise may be heard when starting from cold in damp and cold conditions at walking pace speed. One press of the pedal to clear the rotor of any dampness and this disappears to leave EBC Redstuff a pad that inspires confidence in all cars. The motto is be patient give the pads a full chance to bed down."

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

Maybe just give it some time then?

audiobull

they are for fast road they need to get hot. bed them in on the road then put standard pads back in. once on the track put them in. Red is usually for track to be honest and yellow and green for fast road/track.

from above post that is alot of bedding in so cannot say i bedded in that long. usually 500 miles then taken out until track days. Might be worth bearing with it till 1500 miles. All mine have squelled until very hot out on the track. they also leave dust everywhere.

Edited by audiobull

ATK

They seemed to have good stopping power on the road, even when cold, my car is a road car only. I'm assuming there's no issue with using them on a road-only car? Otherwise I've just chucked 100 quid down the drain!

Edited by ATK

welshpug

definitely £100 is rather excessive for a road car, £25 TRW pads from the local factors would be more than adequate.

audiobull

for road they are expensive. youve not chucked it away but you will be dusting it away all over your alloys. you will also find they last half the time as normal pads. Nothing wrong with using them on the road though, weird you find them better cold then standards. i always found them absolute rubbish in the cold. maybe some green stuff for the road and i think they dont decintergrate as much.

Each to thier own though, same as the drilled and grooved discs.

ATK

Thanks buddy. Live and learn I suppose!

audiobull

what do people suggest as an upgrade (over standard mintex or similar) for the road on a 205 anyway?

welshpug

I would imagine the E91 weighs about that much extra and uses that much extra brake material :P

Nice one simon, remove your post why don't you!

Edited by welshpug

johnhenry

I fitted some 'greenstuff' pads all round for the gti a few weeks back, they squealed for about 100 miles then quietened down, now its just every now and then

They came with noise reducing shims for the rear and grease for the front that shuts them up a bit

EBC say give it about 500 miles before contacting them if they are still noisy

mikeyd

red in a road car?! :blink:

that was my thoughts too -- we only use ebc yellows on a 205 tarmac rally car and that stops well enough

you may also find that they wear the discs a lot faster than standard tho someone who has used them may confirm for definate

Alan77

Ferodo Premier pads for £20 are perfect for a road car.

Rippthrough

What's wrong with Red's for a road car? They're more like greenstuff, but for heavier cars, they're less dust and less aggressive than Yellow's....

I used Blue's on my 1.4 as a daily pad...

welshpug

but you're not normal Phill...

they must have changed them recently, always thought red was a full race pad, yellows are what my mates used on rally cars.

• Like 1

ATK

My concern is whether the squealing only stops when the pads are hot. If that turns out to be the case, I'll be taking them off and putting standard pads on!

dcc

my ds3000's have recently started to squeal after spirited driving. I think the 2500's will be the next pad (on 206 gti brakes though)

B1ack_Mi16

The DS2500's I have on my 205 squeals a lot if light or moderate pedal pressure is used.

They only seem to be silent during heavy braking.