• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick205

205 Manual Steering Rack Overhaul

nick205

Thought I'd share my experience of overhauling a 205 manual steering rack in the hope it might be useful to others....

http://s736.photobucket.com/user/nick-205/story/33079/embed

Track rods and gators were sourced from a motor factors and manufactured by First Line. They appear of good quality and and were inexpensive. The only issue was the thick tab washer had double tabs which didn't fit the rack. I reused the original tab washers, but fitted the new lock washers supplied with the track rods.

The rack bushing (passenger side) was very worn and allowing the rack to move with 1-2mm of free play (hence the steering issue on the car). The replacement was source from Peugeot for £3.

Dismantling the rack is straightforward although it's worth taking care to use soft vice jaws (I made a pair from some scrap ally I had) to protect the rack. I didn't have the specific tool to undo the track rods from the rack, but others on here recommended Stillsons - which worked perfectly. I did take a minute to file down the small burrs left by the Stillsons on the new track rods. Probably overkill, but I didn't want to rosk damaging the new gators.

Last part to source is a new dust cap that fits over the input shaft as I split the old one removing the rack from the car.

All in all an easy job and should make a big difference to how the car drives :)

Edited by nick205
  • Like 1

nick205

test post

Edited by nick205