• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
happypatrol

Brake Compensator Query?

happypatrol

Im just about to renew my rear beam and all metal brake lines hoses etc.

My braking system will be standard for a 1.9 gti 1989.

Ive got no experience with compensators and I'm wondering if theres any way of testing them or checking them>??

Ive seen new ones for sale for £60 each. I don't mind spending the money if they're required but don't want to be replacing them for no reason.

Any advise appreciated??

hoodygoodwood

When they are choked up with crud /rust the fluid will not flow through them . The easiest way to check is to bleed the rear brakes and if the fluid flows from each of the rear caliper nipples they are not blocked . Finding out if they are partialy blocked is more difficult , uneven rear brake balance at MOT time would be a giveaway . A dodgy master cylinder could have the same effect though .

I found one of my compensators was blocked when I was rebuilding my Goodwood , no amount of pressure on the brake pedal would force the fluid through . I bought a new one , fitted it and no more problems .

On another 309 of mine I had so many problems with them working one minute and not the next I did away with them and ran new lines straight from the master cylinder to the calipers .They are fitted for a reason though .

If you are renewing the rear lines you could disconnect both below the 2 compensators , put a bowl beneath each and cycle the brake pedal a few times and see if you get a similar volume of flow from each .

I change my fluid more often now since I have been working on compensators , moisture in the fluid corrodes internally .

happypatrol

Thanks,

I find the rear brakes do lock up pretty easily but i will try and bleed them and see what comes out. If its rusty brown then i think i might just change them to be on the safe side.

hoodygoodwood

Start wire brushing and soaking all the bleed nipples with penetrating oil , they break off so easily .There is usually black sediment in the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir , to save from pumping that through the whole system I have a syphon plunger which I use to suck all the fluid out of the reservoir . I use a tiny paint brush down into the reservoir to loosen up all the black crud before I suck it out .Then refill with new fluid and start bleeding .If it hasn't been done for a good few years it will be a nasty colour .

Gunsons easibleed is the No1 tool to buy even if the cap is not a perfect fit - don't use too high a pressure though .

happypatrol

Thanks ill do that.

It doesn't look too bad in the reservoir but ill do it anyway.

Got two new front callipers just the rears to worry about.

And I've got a vacuum bleeder that works off my compressor that i can suck the old fluid out the reservoir. Just dying to get it on the road for the summer.

I can feel a sick day or to coming off work. Ha ha ha.