• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

Do I Need To Refurb My Master Cylinder?

cybernck

I've a used GTI-6 master cylinder than I will need to re-use now :).

It has been standing for a number years, albeit with brake fluid still inside.

Would it be fine due to this fact or would it still need to be refurbished?

Thanks.

commievid

From what little I know, brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air, which is the main reason to change it regularly for normal use cars, as I guess the water could cause rust on steel bits. I guess if the number of years is greater than 2 or 3, then the brake fluid inside the cylinder might have caused some surface rust on the inside?

Because of that, even with a flush, I would be worried that bits would remain inside the cylinder and possibly mess up the seals inside.

I guess you could open it up and have a look inside to see if that's the case, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come to shed more light on this.

Tom Fenton

Bin it fit a new one. They are the number 1 safety item in the car and are not expensive.

Rock Lobster

Agreed, I picked a brand new, good quality item recently for about £20, not worth taking the chance mate.

cybernck

From what I know and have seen, it would be even worse if it was exposed to free air.

But still, I'm going to get it refurbished, along with all the calipers :).

It's a 23.8 mm one, btw.

Slo

You cant replace the worn metal inside anymore than you can replace the worn metal inside pistons and liners.

Do the smart thing Nikica and get a new one your front end will thank you for it someday ;)

cybernck

Why are you so sure it is worn though?

Slo

Any braking component that is used will have wear. But unlike steering/suspension/engine components that wear out over time, when a braking component fails it will be immediate with no warning and potential life ending results will ensue.

I speak from experience.

Brakes are the most important part of any vehicle.

cybernck

Of course. But if a 20+ year old original m/c is fine, why would a newer one, used only for half its life, be worn by default?!

acox99

No harm in pulling it apart. Stick your finger down it. Your feel if there is a ridge. If it feels good then kit it. If not get a new one.

Lots of more obscure classic cars have to be kitted as new castings just aren't available. If there that bad then they have to be sleeved but usually you can get away with a kit. Iv even honed rear wheel cylinders before.