• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
p1234

Broken Anti Roll Bar

p1234

While out on a track day last weekend I noticed the back end started to walk a bit around a fast right hander,

Pulled in and jacked up the back of the car only to find I could pull each wheel outward by an inch or so, got around to stripping it today to find this:

unnamed22_zps199704df.jpg

The rusty looking one is a standard 1.9. I could try welding the broken splined piece back on along with the end plate but I don't reckon it will last long.

Daviewonder

I'd say being able to pull the wheels out by an inch or so is a totally different problem as the ARB has no affect on this.

p1234

I run coilovers on the back of my 205 which does away with the torsion bars, it was definitely the problem alright as ive fitted a standard one for now until I source another bar and it has everything nice and tight again.

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

How are your trailing arms held on? I would've thought there'd be more strain on the ARB if theres no torsion bars in, as the arb would be the only thing really to hold the trailing arms in? Unless you set up is different to how I'm imagining it

welshpug

So you have nothing at all setting the clearance on the trailing arm shaft seal?

p1234

Here is a shot of the rear setup on my car,

The arms have been completely modified to take the coilovers and thus removing the need for torsion bars.

unnamed24_zps65e43f97.jpg

chipstick

Just the end flags hold the trailing arms on?

Slo

I've always wondered how the axle stayed together when using coil overs as I always thought it was the tb's that "held" the arms together in place.

If you could pull your wheels out by an inch your outer bearings could be knackered not to mention the seals, hell your lucky the arms didn't just fall off the shafts completely.

Miles

Get a ARB made with 306 splines, These are a fair amount larger so will reduce this risk, Just need a pair of 306 end plates

p1234

Would a weld hold the piece back on and weld the end plate onto it aswell? The reason im reluctant to bin it is because the arb has a bend in it along with the tube. This was done to create negitive camber on the back wheels. The car came with this setup.

wicked

Maybe remove the splines of the torsion bars and put them back in as well. Then you'll have 3 bars holding it together iso 1.