• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Do I Keep The Cage?

Stu

Hi all,

Im at a bit of a cross roads with my car at the mo.. Its currently going through a phase of being turned back into a road car from a full on track car (zero trim, 10 point cage, buckets etc..).

Ive got a donor car for all the trim, but im unsure what to do about the cage.

Its a boggo OMP 10 point jobbie, and ive read the guides and such and understand that 90% of the trim goes back with it in, BUT.. I dont want to modify any of it, i want it to be as user friendly as possible (well, so far as it can be being as though the mechanicals are stopping as is :P )

Opinions? Do i trim the various bits around the cage and have a fully trimmed car with it, or do i take it out and sell it on and run 100% stock interior.

Im unlikely to do any trackdays in the immediate future, so i do wonder if its an unnecessary pain for a road car.

But, i do like the idea of the cage being there should the worst happen, and it does stiffen the shell up.

Help.

Kev-G

IIRC, apart from the carpet around the front + centre mounting points having to be cut, everything except the sunvisors fit with the OMP cage.

dcc

I toyed with the idea of a cage - but I wanted my car to be a subtle and yet fun car, so decided against the cage as I am not likely to be doing warp speed everywhere.

jackherer

I now own this car - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=87397&hl= - scroll down on the first page and you can see the full interior and OMP cage. Absolutely everything fits with the cage in place. Apart from the sunvisors as mentioned by Kev.

IMO it isn't safe with standard seatbelts though, the top B pillar fitting is shared with the cage and it prevents proper retraction of the belts, it should fail the MOT but somehow slipped through.

Edited by jackherer

welshpug

I am not likely to be doing warp speed everywhere.

ROFL.

Stu

I now own this car - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=87397&hl= - scroll down on the first page and you can see the full interior and OMP cage. Absolutely everything fits with the cage in place. Apart from the sunvisors as mentioned by Kev.

IMO it isn't safe with standard seatbelts though, the top B pillar fitting is shared with the cage and it prevents proper retraction of the belts, it should fail the MOT but somehow slipped through.

so no mods to the headlining at all?

Does the sunroof sliding cover still work?

Stu

That is a lovely car btw... Dare i ask what it cost? Ball park figure obviously ;)

chipstick

IIRC, apart from the carpet around the front + centre mounting points having to be cut, everything except the sunvisors fit with the OMP cage.

The map light won't go back in on mine. I just managed to squeze the interior light unit back in though.

jackherer

so no mods to the headlining at all?

Does the sunroof sliding cover still work?

It doesn't have a sunroof.

That is a lovely car btw... Dare i ask what it cost? Ball park figure obviously ;)

You might be surprised to know I drove it home and promptly tore it apart, it looks nice and it has a lot of nice parts but there are some issues that need correcting. It /will be/ a lovely car but it isn't yet! The drive home was one of the scariest I have ever had, it has some handling issues and I had to drive it through 200 miles of torrential rain and strong winds.

wicked

Did you consider a half cage with the bucket seats still in? That's were I ended on the same debate...

Wes

i had to take the sunroof blind out of mine, but the head lining is still in there. i run the rear half of an omp cage with all trim and rear seats in place. could just tint the sunroof if the light bothers you.

Batfink

Not a 205 but I'm removing the half cage from my ae86 and putting a full interior back. Road cars really don't need them

Mac Crash

unless you have proper harnesses and are prepared to wear a crash helmet then your only putting your life at risk in an accident by retaining the cage.... cage won't stop deformation of the shell or your skull... it's for roll-over purposes only... should be welded in too, bolt in is pointless as the legs generally punch through the shell in a big accident... concentrate on your driving ability and awareness, cages are for competition cars only.

Batfink

Legs need to be bolted to a welded in plate. Bolt in cages don't just bolt in...

From crash pictures I've seen even a bolt in cage can significantly reduce deformation of the safety cell but there's a risk your head might hit it.

calvinhorse

I toyed with the idea of a cage - but I wanted my car to be a subtle and yet fun car, so decided against the cage as I am not likely to be doing warp speed everywhere.

Bullsh*t

Batfink

Its the little things that annoy me. With my car the seatbelts hide between the cage and B-pillar, making it a bit of a faff to grab them.

This is one of the reasons mine needed removal

C3D71341-C91B-425A-A3C6-39D56231A552_zps

Edited by Batfink

harryskid

unless you have proper harnesses and are prepared to wear a crash helmet then your only putting your life at risk in an accident by retaining the cage.... cage won't stop deformation of the shell or your skull... it's for roll-over purposes only... should be welded in too, bolt in is pointless as the legs generally punch through the shell in a big accident... concentrate on your driving ability and awareness, cages are for competition cars only.

What an utter load of boll*cks, road rally cars have them and are padded in the places to procect the skull. Also bolt in cages have plates to reinforce the mountings. I rolled a 205 on the Barbera Cartland mermorial road rally about 5 years or so ago and it saved me and my co driver as we mounted a high bank and rolled off it. The 205 was in a bad way and was a write off! On road rallies helmets are not allowed but the cage and the padding was well worth it. Check your facts!

Wes

this arguement comes up on every roll cage thread. i have seen two cars roll on trackdays, both caged and no injuries. and i lost two friends when their civic rolled on a dual carriage way, the roof coming in was what killed them.

its your choice. i feel a lot safer having my half cage in my car, better than nothing.