• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
G60luke

Failed Mot On Tyres Hitting Inside Arches And Gearbox?

G60luke

Hi,

My 205 gti 1.9 failed its MOT yesterday as apparently the tyres are rubbing on the inside arches and gearbox on full lock.

I'm running standard speedline alloys on Michelin sport exalto PE2's on a 195/50 profile.

The car is lowered slightly but not excessively.

Has anyone come across this before?

I've been advised to stick some spacers on?

Thanks.

welshpug

may be the steering rack is not centred, check the length of the track rod ends each side.

however, its common for the tyres to kiss the end of the box as they are wider than standard, but not the chassis leg.

Mattr5uk

As WP said I'd get some 4 wheel alignment done/checked first. I've also had issues in the past certainly on the rear with a 195/50 profile am I correct 185/55/15s are the standard/original size?

iPlod999

I have 195/50's all round.

No problems here.

G60luke

So I jacked the car up to check it for myself and the tyres tough the gearbox on the one side and rub on the plastic inner arch liner on the other side.

I've taken the plastic cover off so it no longer touches that side. I've also taken a look at the track rod ends and they are slightly uneven. This is also confirmed when turning the steering wheel from centre to lock position as there is a difference in the number of turns.

I might just stick some spacers on to get it through the mot and then assess the centering of the rack afterwards.

jackherer

It is well worth sorting the uneven track rods ASAP, it seriously affects handling too.

G60luke

It is well worth sorting the uneven track rods ASAP, it seriously affects handling too.

Ok, will do