• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Weser

Refurbed Rear Beam Sitting Low One Side

Weser

Just after a bit of advice from people that know a bit more than me on this. My recently refurbed rear beam seems to be sitting low on the drivers side. By this I'm mean the wheel is higher up in the arch on the drivers side. It was a refurb by a decent company only a few months ago. Obviously I'm going to give them a ring about it. However I am wondering what would cause it to happen. Pretty sure it was ok when I fitted it because I would of noticed it. Either that or not as bad when I fitted it and now it's settled. Anyone shed some light?

jord294

I personally would of phoned the 'decent company' first, to see what they say.

What sort of measurement is the difference? If the arms were set correctly using the dummy shock method, then the only thing I can think is either, different thickness torsion bars, or the end caps have been put onto arb out of line

Weser

Well I would of phoned them but they had finished for the day when I noticed it so I couldn't hence not metioning names as I want to speak to them and just enquiring on what the possible causes could be.

Ahh ok. The difference is about 17mm measuring from floor to arch. Ground is level, wheels and tyres are the same etc.

I take it its not easy to check either of those two possible causes.

Alastairh

Have you tried jacking it up to check for play?

Al

jord294

I'd get in touch with the company tomorrow and ask their opinion. Was there a warranty with the beam?

Edited by jackherer

Tom Fenton

Be careful measuring to the plastic body kit as it isn't forced to be totally identical side to side. Floor to the sill lip is probably a better place to measure.

Weser

Sorry for being a bit dumb on this but where should I be looking for play, wheel bearing? On the rear beam somewhere?

As its dark now I can jack it up tomorrow night and have a look.

Weser

Just went and had another measure - annoyingly the car is fitted with the dealer fit sideskirts which doesnt help - but floor to skirt is out by roughly the same amount.

I'd get in touch with the company tomorrow and ask their opinion. Was there a warranty with the beam?

Ha ha didn't take you long. Warrenty is not mentioned on the invoice but I am not sure. I will give them a ring tomorrow. Just want to make sure it can't be something else.

Can it be a wheel bearing making that much of a difference?

Edited by jackherer

welshpug

measure to the jacking points, or to the top rear damper bolts.

make sure all the tyre pressures are even.

Weser

Tyre pressures are even Checked them a couple of days ago.

welshpug

doesn't mean they are even right now...

jord294

I'm sure anyone on here who knows their axles, can help you out if they are local enough to you.

That's if you get no joy off the company

Edited by jackherer

Weser

ha ha ok ok I will check them tomorrow as well but I am sure they are the same. To drop the car by 17mm you would see the flatness. Also you can see its the gap between the tyre and the arch is where the issue is.

I just wanted to know if it is plurely down to the beam or if it could be something else.

Well I will give the company a call tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully I can get it sorted.

welshpug

I think you're about half hour from Baz, if he has any spare time, or half hour from Kieran (Jackherer)

Weser

Ahh sweet. Yer Baz is not far bought some wheels from him a while ago. He doesn't seem to be on here much anymore though? Might still have his number have to check. Could get in contact with Kieran I think he is a bit nearer to see if he could have a look?

Have to see what R Mountjoy say. Although I dont really fancy removing the beam or taking a trip to devon to sort it out. So if its something a forum member could help me with that would be great.

Miles

I have known torsion bar's to sag out of the blue a few times now, A age thing mainly

Weser

Just to update this I just got to work and had a look and it seems to be sitting ok again which is weird. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Weser

To clear this up I had a look at this at the weekend and all seems fine the only thing I found is that I need a new rear wheel bearing. The beam must have been under tension so an error from myself - I apologise!

Thanks for all the pointers though, I appreciated it.

• Like 1