• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rock Lobster

Front Ride Height Issues!

nick205

Do you mean 360mm not 160mm?

Tinkering with mine again today and TBH it looks about the same as yours in the latest pic. As above mine is measuring 360mm from wheel centre to the bottom edge of the arch trim.

Maybe it's right for standard height, but it just doesn't look right or how I remember my previous 2 cars looking.

Rock Lobster

Yep 360mm sorry!

I know that the Haynes manual states 330mm dummy damper length so I might have a bash at setting it to that and it will at least even it up a touch and help it to stand out less.

I'm hoping somebody can help with dimensions off a recently rebuilt setup, just to have something to compare with and maybe aim for.

Rock Lobster

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo97/huwsmith/IMAG0192.jpg

A bit of an update on this one. I have had the rear beam apart today and adjusted the ride height using the damper length, as suggested by the Haynes manual, to 330mm. I had heard that this has always been a bit on the high side but I thought I would give it a go anyway!

This has left me with a car that looks a bit weird but on the plus side it now looks level at least, the distance from wheel centre to arch is 370mm front and back.

What do you think? I still would like to compare this to someone who has completed a full original restoration to see how they should look!

Anthony

330mm is for base model beams. 322mm is for GTi beams.

welshpug

was going to mention that, as the rear arches are lower than the fronts, specifically how much I can't remember but there is a PTS ride height reference pic floating about in my photobucket and on the forum showing minimum heights front and rear to the arch mouldings.

Rock Lobster

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/welshpug/other%20working%20on%20oug%20pics/ptschallenge205309rideheight.jpg

Balls. Is that the one you meant?

I am struggling to find definitive measurements to compare the car to, it still didn't seem right at 322mm as it was before, see the pic above.

Edited by Rock Lobster

welshpug

that's the one :D

those are for the stiffer gravel/tar setups, 185 or 225 lb front springs and 20 or 21mm rear bars, that'll be about 30mm lower than stock.

looking at the gap on the rear of yours 322 would be spot on.

Rock Lobster

This had me thinking, so I went out and had a look around my beam, I have found that the TB's measure 18mm in diameter and there is no sign of an anti roll bar at all! This is why it sits ok at 330mm between bolts on the beam and the car doesn't handle like it should. It has taken me over 12 months to spot this problem but i got there in the end. What an idiot!

Can someone tell me if the rear arms are the same from a base model as the Gti? I don't really want to swap the entire beam over if i can help it as i have some spare TB's I can slide in and throw in the ARB too. I believe the TB's should be 19mm on a Gti?