• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rock Lobster

Front Ride Height Issues!

Rock Lobster

Hey all

I am in need of some advice please gents. Basically i have rebuilt my front struts with new Bilstein dampers, springs, bearings etc, but the ride height is way off. I am looking for a standard ride height, the rear beam was set properly to 322mm dummy shock height.

I was hoping it would settle out but nothing as yet and I have done a few thousand miles now so somethings wrong! I have been informed that the standard ride height measurement from the highest point of the bottom of the plastic arch to the wheel centre is supposed to be 325mm, mine measures approx 390mm!

I cant work out what is wrong as it all looks to be correct, the only thing I can think of is that the springs are cheap rubbish? They were a real pig to put on.

Any advise guys would be much appreciated as I want this looking spot on asap! I do have some old springs here too but I would prefer to strip them down once as its a royal pain in the arse!

Cheers

Huw

nick205

I've recently rebuilt my front end using Monroe shocks and motor factor springs (K Tech IIRC) and have a similar issue, it just looks too high! I was aiming for standard height.

The motor factor did struggle to get the springs and I'm not convinced they're right. Not sure what other options there are though for standard height springs.

I'm going to check mine now to the measurements you've given and see how mine compare.

Rock Lobster

I will dig out the receipt and see if can identify the springs, even if I have done something wrong then it still shouldn't be that high I'm sure!

K Tec rings a bell but I will check. I'll also get a pic!

Has anyone done this recently with more success?

happypatrol

I had exactly the same problem guys and still have it. After two different makes of springs it still looked too high. now gone for eibach 30mm lower springs and matching rear beam. i gave up trying to get to the bottom of it. Change wishbones and art links too. Was still too high. Very annoying

aldworth33

If part numbers match up then must be badly made springs, mines standard height 309 gti setup (not 100% on measurements) but it looks spot on.

pug_ham

If its sat too high, the springs must be wrong as these are what controls the front ride height.

Does the literature you have for the spring include a free length (uncompressed, off the strut)? A GTI spring is approx 330mm iirc.

g

welshpug

yup, 330mm 12.8mm wire diameter, measured some earlier today, 6 and a bit coils.

Rock Lobster

I will try popping the originals back on to the new dampers and see how it sits.

It is very frustrating, not to mention a waste of money!

I will try and get the info on the springs tomorrow too along with a photo. I dint really want to lower it as I'm going for the standard look.

nick205

Good info coming out here!

I actually bought 3 springs (don't ask why) so have one on the bench. Just been and measured it at 330mm uncompressed and Ø12.9mm wire, which agrees with Welshpug's measurements.

Will check wheel centre to arch trim measurements on the car with the same springs fitted tomorrow in the daylight.

I've also renewed the top mounts (OEM), dampers (Monroe), wishbones (First Line), drop links (Motaquip), TREs (First Line) and about to fit new track rods (First Line).

Rock Lobster

Mine too are measuring in at 12.9mm wire diameter, I will send a picture but the laptop has died on me this morning!

pug_ham

They do sit higher than you might expect as standard, take a look at this topic for Anthony's picture of a standard ride height car.

g

Rock Lobster

Not sure if this pic will work, if it was the height of the car in that pic I would be happy!

post-12351-0-66677400-1395321628_thumb.jpg

Anthony

Errr... that's not right! They sit about that height with no engine/gearbox in them so something's very wrong.

Put your old springs back on and see if - as I suspect - that fixes the issue.

That looks more like I would expect diesel spring to sit on a GTi (judging by how GTi springs lower a diesel)

Rock Lobster

Maybe it something like that, I haven't had time to whip the struts out since putting them so it's a job for this afternoon!

I don't think I compared old to new after purchase. I always just assumed that the arse of the car Sat down a bit and the front would settle making it look worse than it was, then I got the tap measure out, how wrong I was!

nick205

Not sure if this pic will work, if it was the height of the car in that pic I would be happy!

I'm thinking the same here. My car is sat looking the same as Rock Lobsters...not right!

I suspect the spring maker has simply cross reference the diesel spring to the GTI and that's what we've ended up with. I have to say they also seem a very harsh ride compared to what I remember of my old GTIs.

Not that I have any way of checking it (suppose I could stand on the open spring and measure compression), but does anyone know the correct poundage of the OE GTI springs?

Rock Lobster

These are the new and old ones. They both measure 330mm unsprung.

The old ones are a touch thinner, about 0.2mm but that may be just age and lack of powder coat perhaps? I can't fell any difference but I'll put one side on now and see if she comes good.

post-12351-0-47687800-1395337260_thumb.jpg

nick205

Very interested to see how you get on with this.

Just walked past mine on the drive and had to look away as it just looks wrong!

Rock Lobster

IMAG0137.jpg

This is how she sits on the old spring, but due to fading light and a s*ite garage, I only had time to do the drivers side.

I remove the passenger wheel and lowered the car that side on the jack to make it level on both side by measuring height of the sill off the floor.

This is cheating so I'm not convinced that when I replace both springs that i will sit at this height but I'll keep my fingers crossed, I am happy with this a its sits now though!

Edited by Rock Lobster

nick205

That looks better!

I'm just trying to work out if the spring p/n I bought as a "GTI" spring corresponds to the "Diesel" spring p/n.

Rock Lobster

Let me know mate, I haven't been able to find my receipt yet! I will be only able to fit the other side on Sunday which is annoying but I will put the results up asap

nick205

Checked from my receipt and the spring is manufactured by KYB http://www.kyb-europe.com/suspension.html

Couldn't find part numbers on their site, but the part number I bought is RA1543, which corresponds with this part on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Suspension-Coil-Spring-PEUGEOT-205-II-1-9-GTI-128BHP-Hatch-87-98-/151025396571?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Checking on eBay for diesel springs by KYB the part numbers are all different!

I also measured my car from wheel centre to the bottom edge of the arch trim is 360mm both sides. Not sure if this is right for standard rife height, but doesn't tally with the 325mm you mentioned above.

happypatrol

I will take some pics of mine at the weekend. Im changing my rear beam and front springs but will take pics before i do anything.

timoth123

I originally bought those KYB springs aswell. I had to take them back as they wouldn't fit my struts. One end of each spring was way larger than the other, wouldn't fit it's seat. Supplier phoned KYB and confirmed the part number was right. So obviously had some manufacturing issues there.

Rock Lobster

Mine were KYB too I think, I bought them off eBay because they were cheap, and once again I realise that you get what you pay for! I have plans to fit the old spring to the passenger side tomorrow and hopefully confirm that the spring are the problem!

Rock Lobster

This is how it sits at the moment on standard front springs again off my old 1991 car.

I'm still not 100% happy with it if I'm honest, the front measesurement is now down to 160mm so much better bit not quite there yet. The rear might need a tweek up bit its not too far away at the moment.

Can somebody who has reletively fresh standard suspension take measurement for me please? From the arch to the centre of the wheel both front and back if possible please?

Cheers!

post-12351-0-03369600-1395582437_thumb.jpg