• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scbond

Removing Exterior Trim Rivets

scbond

Going over my car I found that one of the red metal insert clips wasn't being held on by the rivet as it appears to be pushed back through to the inside slightly at an angle. How do I go about removing them? Normally with a standard rivet it would be drilling but I'm unsure about these ones and I'd rather avoid it as well. Also, is it just a standard rivet gun to fit new ones?

Edited by scbond

Slo

I'd leave it alone and pop a new one in next to it and yes standard rivet gun works fine on them

scbond

I'd rather avoid making a new hole in the skin though I'm afraid. Bit anal but I want to keep it standard to the very last detail :)

Andy101

Depending where it is you could always take the door card/rear interior trim panel etc off and remove the rivet from the inside to avoid drilling anything, assuming you can get to the right location.

welshpug

I'd leave it alone and pop a new one in next to it and yes standard rivet gun works fine on them

can't do that, they have a specific slot they match up to on the trim.

is the panel dented or the rivet actually damaged? the latter is more likely, remove the interior trim and have a look.

scbond

No dent or anything, just looks like something has pushed it through slightly. It's the last one for the red strip before the wheel arch and seems like it was off-centre for the hole in the plastic bump strip. I'll try and get pics of it in a bit.

Found it on the other side very easily die to broken interior and clips lol. Doesn't look like there's anything to get a hold of though.

scbond

Any other suggestions or is drilling from the inside the only way to go?

Andy101

If you can get some good side cutters on the rivet inside you can avoid going near it with a drill. You should be able to just pull it off from the outside once the inner part is snipped off. I'm presuming it's one like these...see pic?post-15673-0-38465200-1395308283_thumb.jpg

scbond

Think so...can't really tell from that side. On the outside it's like a stud. Tried pulling it back through but it just started to crumble.

Tom Fenton

Carefully with a small belt sander or dremel grind the outside lip off then push the remains through to the inside. Then fit a new one. Done!

B1ack_Mi16

Can't you just attack them from the inside with a set of pliers made for cutting steel wire?

They should be quite soft aluminium.

scbond

Can't you just attack them from the inside with a set of pliers made for cutting steel wire?

They should be quite soft aluminium.

Yea, found they were pretty soft when I tried to grip the outside with pliers to pull it back into place.

Tom, will try doing that...kinda wanted to avoid removing the plastic trim on the outside but looks like I'll have to :(

Cheers guys.

dch1950

personally I would use a small end mill cutter (5 or 6 mm) to just take the inside flange off.

Dave

scbond

A further question regarding this, or rather the replacement rivets...are they specially made and only bought as part of the trim kits or is there somewhere else to get them?

B1ack_Mi16

Think you only get them in the kit from Peugeot, but I think I remember some years ago someone talking about they could be bought separately from a different car manufacturer, but not 100% sure if it's any truth in it.

welshpug

vauxhall calibra apparently.

farmer

8742 20 from the top of the head- NFP £1.20 odd each as well.