• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dannydub

Rear Beam Advice

dannydub

I've finally decided to get my 205 out the garage and chanage the seized rear beam. I removed the beam on Saturday without any fuss.When it came to swopping parts over onto the new beam I hit a problem. The bolts holding the rear shock mounting brackets cannot be removed as when they slide out they hit the inside of the hub. Is there anyway round this or do I have to try and remove the trailing arms?

Any help is much appricated.

Thanks

Tom Fenton

As you have found out you cannot get the bolts out as the trailing arm is in the way.

Easiest option for you would be to cut the bolt heads to allow you to get the brackets off your old beam. Then buy some new bolts. The standard Peugeot ones are fine pitch 12x1.25 but to be honest normal pitch M12 will suffice and will be much easier to get hold of.

dannydub

Thanks very much!

Do you know how long the bolts are??

Edited by dannydub

welshpug

Have a look at the links in my sig :)

But I'll help you out this time :P for most fasteners Servicebox lists the details like length bolt type and thread pitch, typically they all have a longer shank than a standard bolt.

6918 54 HEX HEAD CAPSCREW DIAM 12X1.25-90
5173 13 SELF LOCKING NUT 12X1.25-11,2
4010 H4 PLAIN WASHER
Edited by welshpug

dannydub

Many thanks for your help bud. Much appricated it.

Been onto service box and rang Peugeot to see if they had them and price etc. They have discontinued bolt 514420. The bolt is used to secure the rear mounting of the beam (if that makes sense) going to see if bolt 691854 will do the job

Tom Fenton

If you mean the bolt that secures the top of the rear damper to the bracket, it is not long enough. The bolt that holds the front mounts onto the beam is also too long.

dannydub

The mount which comes up into the rear of the boot floor is secured onto the bracket where the rear dampers bolt into. The bolt which holds the mount on needs replacing. Quite hard to explain, i'll get a picture later

welshpug

ahhh, if you have a bolt there its not a standard peugeot item, the standard peugeot bush has two studs and nuts.

welshpug

I think he means the rear ones to the shell when using some of these Tom?

!BvR!U9wBmk~$(KGrHqN,!h8Ev1+zy536BMD2h6o

Tom Fenton

Going from the first post, it is the ones pictured, as they cannot be removed from the centre tube whilst the trailing arms are still fitted.

dannydub

Tom, you're on the same track as me. It's hard to try and explain everything without pictures. Welshpug thanks for your help and interest to help me. Much appreciated.

Tom, you have a deal! I'm guessing they're what hold the mounts on to the beam. Mounts i'm talking about are the ones the shocks bolt into?

I cut the 2 bolts out this evening so now just require 1 bolt which bolts the rear shock to the beam. The other bolts the front mounts onto the beam itself. The one with the gold studs in the picture below

eqx9.jpg

Edited by dannydub

dannydub

lqod.jpg

I need the one in the middle and on the right

Tom Fenton

I should have everything you need.

To clarify, the picture above is the set of 4 bolts that bolt the pressed steel damper brackets to the beam cross tube, 2 each side.

If you need them I have also got the longer bolts that secure the plate with the studs, to the beam.

Finally when you say you need a damper (shock) bolt, is it the upper one that goes through the bolted on pressed steel bracket? Or is it the larger lower one that fits through the trailing arm?

Tom Fenton

Ok just seen your picture. I'll have a look see what I've got. Far right I know I have. Middle larger bolt I will have to look.

dannydub

Awesome! Thank you so much! Yeah i'll take those 4 plus the 2 for securing the plate with the studs in. Fingers crossed you have the last one I need

Tom Fenton

Ok to clarify for the benefit of anyone else in future here's the sketch

Four bolts pictured

Left hand end

Upper damper to bracket bolt 12x1.25x65

Middle left

Damper bracket to beam bolt 12x1.25x80

Middle right

Stud bracket to beam bolt 12x1.25x90

Right

Damper lower bolt 14x1.5x110

6DEE4733-B729-4DF3-B15E-F4BDE9150CF3_zps

dannydub

Spot on mate, we got there in the end! So bloody confusing without exactly showing someone what I mean

dannydub

Fitted one new hub tonight and after fitting the hub nut and doing it up tight there was slight play in the hub front left to right. The new hub came with the bearings pressed in. Does anyone know why I'm getting a bit of play? Do new hubs not come with everything I need or do I need to use something from my old beam/hubs?

welshpug

Did you fit the spacer?

dannydub

No is the answear to that. Can I use the spacer from my old beam?

welshpug

Yep.

dannydub

Thanks mate

dannydub

Right so yesterday afternoon I set about putting the rear beam back in. Was pretty hard on my own but managed just about in the end. Still need to put a new clamp on the exhaust and route the handbrake cable properly as it's not right atm. Also replaced the rear wheel hub and bearings, rear discs and pads and front discs. Also insured the car tonight so will hopefully go through the MOT this week. When doing the front brakes I noticed a track rod end had split so i'll have to replace that before the test too.

Fingers crossed the car will be on the road sometime this week after 4 or so years!

Big thanks to Tom Fenton and Welshpug for help, advise and replacement bolts!

Here's a picture of the car semi finished. I need to adjust the height on the rear but that can wait for now. (excuse my mate puling faces in the BM)

sxpr.jpg

Edited by dannydub

dannydub

After finding out I had to replace a front wheel bearing last weekend, I took the hub and took it into work where we have the tools to get the old one out. What an absolute nightmare trying to get the old spiggot ring out. It had corroded itself to the hub and we couldn't tell when the ring finished and the hub started. After alot of hammering and chisseling it came out. The only tool we don't have at my work is any form of heat which would have made life alot easier. I managed to fit the new bearing and fit the hub back on the car.

I took it for an MOT Friday last week and it PASSED. There were some advisories which i've sorted already. I was so pleased it went through after being stood for 4 years. It had only been used for a couple of months in 2010 after it came out of storage for another 4 years!

The next task I have is to lower the beam as at the moment it's sky high but i'm finding myself driving around in it alot and enjoying it.

Thanks again to the people that have helped me!