• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
analog_addict

Fitting Gti Clock Into A Standard 205?

analog_addict

Has anyone fitted a digital clock from a GTI into a standard 205? I've had a look and I think I know the pinout for the clock but I can't find a plug that fits into the back. I've had a poke about and I can't work out where to take the 12v from. Maybe I could take it from the wires going into the cigarette lighter but that seems like a bad idea.

Is there any easy way to do this without having to start removing bits of dash to find unused wires?

allye

I'm Almost certain the plug for it is usually there? Removing the dash parts needed for access is a 5min job, you have to take it apart for to fit the clock any way! If the plug isn't there you could take the constant live feed from the stereo?

Rjuhar

Can I get a pinout please? I've tryed in another topic with no luck. I need pinout for both, Ph1 and Ph2 clocks. Thanks

analog_addict

Can I get a pinout please? I've tryed in another topic with no luck. I need pinout for both, Ph1 and Ph2 clocks. Thanks

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=135980

That thread has pinouts. Can you not probe the pins with a 12v power supply (8xAA batteries) and a multimeter?

I'm Almost certain the plug for it is usually there? Removing the dash parts needed for access is a 5min job, you have to take it apart for to fit the clock any way! If the plug isn't there you could take the constant live feed from the stereo?

I dug a little deeper and a lot of the wiring has been cut and resoldered by a previous owner, possibly to power an old Nokia handsfree kit that's in it. It's got a rallye dash (I think) fitted but I can't find the correct clock plug and I'm pretty sure without a clock the previous owner probably chopped it and re-routed it.

I have found a few wires (12V and earth) I can use. My only issue is the switched 12v source for the backlight and also the switched earth for the brightness dimmer.

Edited by analog_addict

analog_addict

I received my clock today and have it working. I have a 12v supply (8x AA batteries) and following the pinout from the other thread.

It's a Phase 2 clock.

+12v

Earth

+12v (switched) (Backlight)

Earth (switched) (Dimmer)

Edited by analog_addict

welshpug

phase 1.5 and 2 are the same, as is the phase1 405.

analog_addict

I have one quick question. Was the clock originally wired so that when you put your headlights on the backlight would decrease in brightness?

Edited by analog_addict

welshpug

yep.

analog_addict

Managed to fit it and the bloody bulb seems to be dead suddenly. Removed and checked with a 12v supply, no dice. Ordered a few flat top 509T LEDs to replace with.