• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick205

Standard Non Pas Rack Rebuild Parts?

nick205

Hi All,

Steadily replacing the complete front suspension on my standard non PAS 1.9. List so far includes..

- upper strut brace fitted

- new OEM top mounts

- new springs

- new shocks

- new wishbones

- new track rod ends

Whilst replacing the track rod ends I found what feels like play in the OS inner track rod joint. I've ordered up some replacements and some new rubber boots as well.

Q1 - Can I change the track rods from underneath without removing the rack?

If i want/need to go further and look at the rack itself, I've read it's better to recondition the original rack as the pattern ones aren't up to much.

Q2 - What parts would I need and where from? I'm guessing it's bushes of some king press fitted into the rack body??

Cheers

Nick

Tom Fenton

You can change the track rods in situ but it can be awkward. If you are thinking of removing the rack anyway then do them then.

There isn't much to the rest of the rack, a pair of bearings on the pinion which are usually in good order. Then there is a support bush at the opposite end to the pinion, this is a plastic bush and does wear, so is worth replacement. The plastic bush can still be bought from Peugeot.

welshpug

Q1, yes you can do it on the car, bit of a fiddle sometimes.

Q2, depends what is worn.

nick205

Thanks guys.

Noted on the plastic lower pinion bush, any chance you have a P/N for Peugeot (always easier than making them look)

Are there any bushes between the rack and casing itself?

Finally, is it just a case of releasing the lower column, undoing the rack to subframe bolts and sliding the rack out left or right?

Cheers

Nick

Tom Fenton

The pinion runs in two bearings. The bush is what the rack runs in at the opposite end of the rack casing to the pinion.

To remove the rack you need to lower the subframe down to get it out past the chassis legs.

Slo

Does all the same apply to power racks too? Just about to swap mine over as its got some epic play in the nearside wheel, added with a toasted lower uj makes for a frightening experience in the wet :angry:

welshpug

you don't need to lower the subframe for a non pas rack, though you do need enough space to at least one side of the car to withdraw it :lol:

nick205

you don't need to lower the subframe for a non pas rack, though you do need enough space to at least one side of the car to withdraw it :lol:

This is actually a good point, being that I'm working in a confined space :lol:

Next question, how much do you need to lower the subframe by?

i.e. can you leave everything in place in terms of engine mounts etc?

Thanks again, Nick

jackherer

As Welshpug said you don't need to lower the subframe at all for a non-PAS rack.

nick205

Doh!

Misread his post as PAS rack.

That's a bonus as I'm not sure the rest of the car would hold together if I undid the subframe :o