• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eastlondonpug

Play In The Offside Wheel And Knocking Noise - Help

eastlondonpug

Hi

Hope someone can help. There are 2 (maybe inter related) issues with my steering-

The situation is that there has been some knocking related sounds coming from my steering (from the offside). For example the knocking noise is produced when I turn my steering wheel maybe just 25-30 degrees right or left from center when stationary. This noise is also produced when making a turn in the road. Although am not a mechanic, I can tell that this is not a CV/CV joint related issue because the sound is produced even when the car is stationary as mentioned above. The noise is not very loud but is still easily audible. This is my first problem.

To investigate this, I jacked the car up. I then discovered that the offside front wheel has about a 10% play in it side by side (not up and down). I understand that this means that the bearings are not bad. I am therfore unsure of whether this is probably related to the knocking sound? This is my second problem.

I dont know where to look exactly and what has gone bad as I have not attemplted to diagnose something like this before.

Hope someone can shed some light on what has gone bad here or what these symptoms typically mean. I hope I don't have 2 different issues to attend to!

(FYI, the car is lowered 30mm with a 1 degree toe out).

Thanks

jackherer

Sounds like play in a track rod balljoint or track rod end balljoint. The track rod end balljoint is where the steering attaches to the hub, the track rod balljoint is the other end under the bellows on the steering rack.

• Like 1

hoodygoodwood

Sounds like your track rod end is badly worn out or maybe loose , a very easy and cheap fix . Could also be the track rod inner ball joint which is inside the steering gaiter on each side of the rack . That is a lot more complicated to change .

Remember all rubber boots are now an MOT fail so any split gaiters etc that you find will need to be replaced while you are repairing this fault .

Remove the wheel and you should be able to see the movement easily enough .

• Like 1

MikeC

I had a noise like that on a partner before and it ended up being a broken coil.

PAGOS

I had similar problems recently and discovered the bottom wish bone bushings on the n/s were worn .

• Like 1

Henry 1.9GTi

same as PAGOS, could move the bottom of my wheel about an inch in and out! was wishbone inner bush at front of car.

edit: try 30mins total toe out when you fix it and redo geo. I found this to be a pretty sweet spot for turn in and still maintains stability under brakes.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi
  • Like 1

eastlondonpug

Thanks for the replies.

The track road end balljoint seemed fine, with no unusual play at all.

Could this be an issue with the steering rack itself? I know I might be digressing from the actual problem, but would like to armed with information regarding this aspect as well. I shall be investigating the track road (inner) balljoint too as kindly suggested.

Thanks

welshpug

Possible, without checking you wont know, you found the movement that causes the sound, trace that and you'll find the play.

PAGOS

happy hunting ! be prepared to have the half of your tool box handy .

Edited by PAGOS

PAGOS

forgot to add that it might be worth while checking the drop links while you are in there .

eastlondonpug

Hi all

I have now replaced all the inner and outer track rods. This has made the steering much easier and smoother and got rid of the play. So, this has partially fixed my problem.

However, the knocking sound in question still remains. I have noticed that the sounds becomes apparent or increases when the engine is warmed up or after driving in heavy traffic when the engine bay is hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Slo

Does it do it when its idling? Or just driving it? Take a video of it so we can hear

eastlondonpug

The sound is very apparent when I turn the steering even when the car is stationary. It gets louder when the car is hot.

The sound also comes when turning the car normally on the road.

Thanks

Slo

Power steering pump would be my pure guess but we really need to hear it to be 100%

eastlondonpug

The car is non PAS, so purely a mechanical thing.

Slo

The sound is very apparent when I turn the steering even when the car is stationary. It gets louder when the car is hot.

The sound also comes when turning the car normally on the road.

Thanks

Its not the exhaust knocking on the body is it? Worn engine mounts can cause this

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Bush in the n/s end of rack worn.