• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Renewing/replacing Fuel Lines

I'm considering using some braided fuel line to replace the standard pipe underneath the car. The old lines are off and have to be replaced.

My reasoning is using one length of hose from pump to filter (I use a 106 filter mounted on the inner wing) will eliminate joins at either end of the standard pipe. Of course, the return line will be one continuous length from fuel rail to tank.

I know this will be more expensive, but that aside, are there any reasons not to do this? (I'm not running lines inside the car or anything either - they'll follow the original routing and be secured with P-clips underneath the car).

welshpug

personally I would prefer to keep a solid pipe running under the car not a flexible one, the steel original pipe is still available and not expensive.

Why exactly, (ignoring the expense)?

Tom Fenton

Hose is more bulky and also more easily damaged.

I would stick with the OE metal pipe, it does a good job!

Am I right in thinking the oe pipe has to be bent to shape? If so, does this require a special tool - like a pipe bender!?

jord294

Am I right in thinking the oe pipe has to be bent to shape? If so, does this require a special tool - like a pipe bender!?

No need for pipe bender. Good strong thumbs will do the job ;)

Miles

Come's in a huge roll so to speak, Bugger is the bends on it is just in the wrong place but once you have the knack for bending pipes it's dead easy or you could bugger things up as once bent you cannot really re-bend it

Davy

+1 for the the solid lines!

As for the bends, it's easy to create relatively gentle, sweeping bends in the pipe, but if you want to replicate the OE look with the tighter bends around the footwell bung, then get those thumbs excercised!!