• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
itg502

Heater Control Unit Toothy Mech.

itg502

Hi All,

Just sorting out my heater system after fan wasn't blowing at all on my 1.6 Gti 1989 (ph 1.5? - limited Sorrento jobby anyway).

Followed the excellent blower overhaul guide and fan is now spinning nicely. I've taken out the rheostat / transistor control module and cleaned the contact and metal disc and re-bond the transistor, testing it tomorrow hopefully.

Now all the above is very well and wont hurt for the TLC. but when I was fixing my fog lamp switch, I came across the black plastic toothed slider mech which should be attached to the center dial at the rear of the control housing. I think I found out why the fan wasn't working at least :)

Problem is - I have no idea how this black toothy slider thing was retained onto the housing (I assume there must have been something at the pivot point, because just offering it to the pivot point doesn't seem to offer any reassuring clicks and its free to fall off again at will). Next problem is how to calibrate the cable arm position with the rotary switch? I guess trial and error unless anyone knows a handy tip.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for a detailed breakdown of the heater control unit (nothing in the Haynes Manual or my efforts of searching on-line) or perhaps someone has a spare that could be photographed? I would be eternally grateful for any info.

Cheers

Richard

itg502

Blower and Electronic Rheostat restoration was success (massive thanks to the blower restoration guide!) and aligning the rotary dial was a non-worry as the knob is polarised of course (duh!).

I'd be happy to do an Electronic Reostat refurbishment guide if anyone thinks it useful.

I just need to know how this black plastic geared cam thing is affixed to the centre dial and arm at the rear of the controller. I'm sure if I took it out of the dash completely it would become clear (at the moment I am working on it at funny angles with all the cables stll attached) , but I don't want to create uneseccary work for myself if I simply understood what fixed it together or understood how it was assmbled in the first place.

Anyone pretty pleeeease?! :)