• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Brake Pipe Pic Needed Please.

Daviewonder

Hi all

Does anyone have a photo of the pipe that goes from the flexi to the wheel cylinder on a 1.6 GTI please? I took mine off a few months back when I was starting my beam refurb but now it's finished I've forgotten how they went and I need to make new ones.

Many thanks, Dave :)

Daviewonder

Thanks for the pics mate but the drum ones are different.

Anyone else have a pic please?

Tom Fenton

The routing is the same as that picture though. From the flexi, 90drg bend towards outside of car. Another 90 towards back to oh round the damper bolt lug on the trailing arm. Run down the arm roughly parallel with the arb lever to the clip on the bracket. Then turn uphill, the backwards to the rear of the backplate.

welshpug

The pipes follow the same route, just don't have the flexi to the caliper.

Daviewonder

Thanks for the info. When the pipe goes to the wheel cylinder does it bend directly up below the hole?

pug_ham

Rough picture cobbled together showing route but the same pipe length (approximately) can also be used on rear discs to do away with the caliper flexi which pug did on later models such as the 306.

post-71-0-77573000-1392906565_thumb.jpg

g

Daviewonder

Cheers for those Graham, came in handy today :)

• Like 1

Daviewonder

I have found out a bit of information about copper brake pipes over the last few days that although old news I thought it might be of interest.

Apparently copper is actually unsuitable for making brake pipes out of due to the fact it can fracture due to age and vibrations and is actually illegal to use in other Countries. The pipe that should be used is Kunifer brake pipe.

I had a look at rolls of copper 'brake' pipe that are for sale in shops and interestingly enough they don't have the word brake on them anywhere, whereas the Kunifer ones have brake pipe clearly printed on them.

Anyone else know about this?

welshpug

Hardly any factors stock cupro-nickel pipe, its all copper as std, even though the price is not significantly higher.

Daviewonder

Hardly any factors stock cupro-nickel pipe, its all copper as std, even though the price is not significantly higher.

I found this too, only a few quid extra per 25' roll.

Tom Fenton

Be warned, there is one significant difference, and that is, compared to copper, cupro-nickel or "kunifer" is much harder and is a bastard to work with/bend etc

welshpug

Very much so, you will struggle to get a decent flare with the generic screw type flaring tools, the cam type like the sykes tools make light work of it thankfully.

Daviewonder

I didn't have any issues at all with my screw type flair tool. I just work it back and forth as I wind it down, it worked a treat. It is harder to shape and bend but not too bad.