• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

Removing Lcd Clock - Ph2

ATK

Any tips on how to remove and replace or changing bulb as my clock is extremely dim!

lightflow

The LCD clock is held in by a tang its left and right side. But I don't think you can get the clock out without removing the face plate.

The sequence should be (from memory)

1. Remove the three heater dials by grasping firmly and pulling them off.

2. Remove the heater control surround - two screws

3. Remove the two screws which hold the dash top section (left hand side of the binnacle behind the now removed white heater control panel)

3. Lift the top triangle on the top surface of the binnacle - there is a screw under there.

4. Remove the screw to the right hand side of the binnacle.

5. Undo two screws beneath the steering column (within the steering column surround)

6. Gently prise up the binnacle from near the windscreen (front right corner) to release

7. Gentrly prise up the binnacle, ensuring that the legs which reach into the steering column surround are not attached. (making sure it clears the odometer trip reset)

8. The binnacle should come away, revealing the top of the face plate - which has two screws.

9. Remove the ashtray - there is one screw underneath that.

10. Remove the clock surround. - there is one screw underneath that.

11. The face plate can now be withdrawn - don't just pull it away but check for the ashtray light bulb which is pushed into a little plastic clip and ensure you are *really* careful with unclipping the heated rear window, hazard and rear fog light switches.

12. There are two locating tangs at the bottom of the face plate which just need to be gently levered.

13. Unclip the Clock supply.

So thirteen unlucky steps - if you are very careful and no heavy handed person has been there before (unlikely) you will not now have a small bag of broken plastic pieces. Good luck!!

Edited by lightflow
  • Like 2

ATK

Thats a great guide mate! Thanks very much!

All that f*cking potch just to remove the clock though? Well, well well!

What do you reckon the odds are of just changing the bulb by perhaps reaching around the back of the fag lighter section~?

Can't try or look at the mo as my car is in for paint restoration but plan on tackling this on sunday

Slo

Got one right here in front of me, there's no way you can get to the bulb without removing it first and the clock does indeed pull out from the back of the dash middle part.

DSC00141_zps1efe2c87.jpg

farmer

Is it not dry joints or something that dims the clock as well?

Slo

Yes the crappy solder used many moons ago to hold the connector pins into the clock pcb has all but shaken loose over the years giving no clock at all, faded clock and resetting every time you switch ignition on

Phase 1 clocks are terrible for this

farmer

I thought that might be the case.

The clocks if sold today are 3 figures as well :huh:

ATK

Really?! PH2 clocks are only twenty quid or so...

ATK

What do you reckon the odds are of taking the fag lighter drawer out and using someone with girly hands to reach behind and push the clock out/disconnect it?

Got one right here in front of me, there's no way you can get to the bulb without removing it first and the clock does indeed pull out from the back of the dash middle part.

DSC00141_zps1efe2c87.jpg

Slo

You'd need a crowbar to be able to push the clock through the front and the dash bezzel would almost certainly break and youd need to hammer it back in again after

ATK

Yeah, silly me, looking at it it obviously needs to come out from the back. What an arse of a job just to replace the crappy clock!

Slo

Got to be the most stupid mistake they made when they designed the dashboard, its ten times more secure than the stereo in a safety cage lol

I thought that might be the case.

The clocks if sold today are 3 figures as well :huh:

New phase 1 clocks you mean?

farmer

Phase 1.5-2 clock was / is £114.34

Phase 1 would be a slide search job

Edited by farmer

ATK

All done!

Managed to do it without removing the dash. Took off the fag ashtray thing and the clock surround, and took out two screws. Pulled the dash cover out a little bit.

Then prised the clock out, and pushed through the new one. Clock surround covers up any screwdriver marks anyway :)

Result! One working clock! :)

• Like 1

lightflow

Nice! Living on the edge with all that fragile 80/90's plastic my friend. Nerves of steel... :D

harryskid

All done!

Managed to do it without removing the dash. Took off the fag ashtray thing and the clock surround, and took out two screws. Pulled the dash cover out a little bit.

Then prised the clock out, and pushed through the new one. Clock surround covers up any screwdriver marks anyway :)

Result! One working clock! :)

Just in time then! ;)

Simes

The same clock appears in the ax and if you don't mind different colours the bx and 405 should also provide a solution.

ATK

Nice! Living on the edge with all that fragile 80/90's plastic my friend. Nerves of steel... :D

Figured I could always replace trim that broke. Well pleased that I didn;t have to take out major parts of the dash! :) Hopefully my post will help anyone else looking t change clock! Stupid design!

simon5

Funnily enough did my clock the other day and also thought what a pain it was to do ,used the same method just prised the dash out enough to spin the clock out through its own hole, was using my nerves of steel and ignoring the creaks and groans from the plastic surround. Typical of the French to make the clock more secure than the radio !!!!!! Also replaced the aeriel as well thank god for the sunroof !!

regards Simon

ATK

Thats the way mate, glad to hear it!