• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daza2020

Rear Light Reflector Unit.

daza2020

Hi all.

The unit that holds the bulbs for the rear lights I'm guessing when new was rather shiny and mirror like, as now 24 years later it's all cracked and flaked of when I opened mine up.

Am I right in thinking a quick spray of plastic primer and then some chrome spray paint would do the trick as there's no way I'm shelling out silly money for new ones.

Thanks.

Slo

I've tried the chrome spray paint idea before and trust me I wouldn't waste your time the bulbs are bright enough without a reflector. Ended up with a right mess that was actually duller than the original faded silver.

daza2020

I would if I could but the silver has literally flaked off there's next to nothing its just all solid white.

Slo

better off doing them gloss white to be honest mate

daza2020

I think its phase 1 been an 89 model with grey interior it should be phase 1.

GLPoomobile

That should be a phase 1.5 but you have to be careful as it's right on the cross over point and Peugeot were mix and matching Ph1.5 and Ph2 parts around then. My first GTI was an 89 and was Ph1.5 through and through, but my current one is also 89 and that has Ph2 rear lights. Everyone says it shouldn't have them and they must have been swapped, but they haven't. I've photos of it from a previous owner when it was 100% OE and kept in concourse condition (and had the same Ph2 rear lights), so there's no way it was bastardised.

You've got a few options. If you only care for the light output and not how good the reflectors are, then just clean them up and fit the best LED light bulbs you can. The LEDs will throw all their light forwards so won't need to rely on the reflectors to help. You could give the reflectors a spray over with silver paint just to tidy them up, but it won't help light output.

If you want to stick reasonably OE and really want reflectors that work, the cheapest option might be to source new lights if you can find them. I say might be, because they were only about £20-30 a pair IIRC when you could get them. These days you'll probably either struggle to get new ones or they'll be sold at a premium. I'm sure Farmer will come along to confirm if he can get them :). Depending on the cost of new ones, the next option might be to get them professionally coated. I don't know the costs, but you should be able to them painted or coated in something properly reflective, like a chrome effect coating.

welshpug

ECP have them on ebay at £30 a side currently.

farmer

Not sure if phase 1.5 are available pattern.

But I have complete gen lights.

The offside unit is NLA

also have lenses but there expensive for what they are to be honest.

acox99

wheel weight tape would work, if your careful you could do it neatly. It's basically sticky backed silver foil.

daza2020

Thanks all.

The lens bit is fine I am toying with the led bulb idea and just spraying the unit white as it currently looks like this;

IMG_20140205_224426.jpg

Anthony

For what it's worth, I sprayed mine with a bright silver/chrome paint and whilst not as good as the finish on a new light, it did markedly improve the brightness of the rear lights.

IMG_5855.sized.jpg

Not a particularly good picture as it was quite dark/overcast so they look quite dull still, but you get the idea. Prior to spraying them, the finish inside under the grime was a very dull silver-grey colour with patches that had faded/peeled to white so they were pretty far gone.

Slo

Starting to get a bit blue peter this thread :ph34r: