• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lightflow

Side Vent Spring Clip Retainer?

lightflow

I was about to replace the right hand side air vent on the dash today - replacing it with a non-drilled version. When I went to prise out the old one from the bottom it just lifted up easily. The reason was that there were no female retaining clips...

Does anybody know what to look for in ServiceBox - I've had a look around but they are not listed as a dashboard component...

Or even better does anybody have a couple going spare?

lightflow

To answer my own question. I lifted the other side vide to also find no female clips. Then the penny dropped; there shouldn't be any. The male spring clip just pushes into the dash. The spring clip was compressed a bit and therefore loose and as this was the first time I'd taken them out I thought it was missing a clip.

I just spread the male spring clip a little and job done.

What I did find was that the foam gasket behind the vent had completely disintegrated into a gooey mush so I set about remaking them.

I cleaned off all the old foam with white spirit, then precisely cut some new foam from a scrap sheet from some old pacaging, then seated the new item back in with fresh double sided tape. Time consuming but satisfying....

MikeC

I did have a look at servicebox after seeing your post but could not find any, got dragged away here in work before i could reply :mellow:

lightflow

Thanks Mike - yes as i said in my own reply above - there aren't any - they just clip directly into the dash plastic! Nothing showing on Servicebox and then the penny dropped.... Thanks for looking too!