• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Rear Passenger Windows Leaking

forbeslongden

Hey there everyone,

I've got some water coming in through the seals of the rear passenger windows, they are the sealed type windows without the latch mechanism.

I've had a little prod and there seems to be rust flakes in the corners, can anyone advise the best way to tackle this?

farmer

What condition are the seals in for starters?

If there's any rust that has eaten all the metal away if will need removed and replaced !

forbeslongden

The seals are still pretty flexible and soft, it's a 1996 car so I don't know how it got as bad as this, there seems to be quite a bit of rust in there, I haven't removed the seals yet just in case they flex out of shape and I can't get them back in again.

Can that area be cut out and a new bit welded? It looks quite complex :/

farmer

Got some photos to give everybody an idea of the problem?

forbeslongden

I'll try and grab some photo's tomorrow, the car is at my Mum's house currently. I'll try and lift the seal to show where it's bad but looking at the seals you wouldn't think anything was wrong until you touched them and heard the crunch of rusty loose metal :(

farmer

I would inspect the seals closely as well, as even a 1996 car is 17 odd years old now.

forbeslongden

Is there anyway to replace them if they are no good? I had a quick search and couldn't find much in the way of replacements... Could a decent dose of black silicone help once the metal is welded?

Also, is it a big job getting the old metal cut out and new put in around that area?

farmer

So its the non opening windows you have ?

I would need to see where your rust issues are to have an idea.

Am sure some on here have done, or known of it been repaired that can offer sounder advice.

forbeslongden

Yeah it's the non-openers, I would have thought they wouldn't cause me more problems than the opening ones but alas, I've has three with opening windows and never had the metal rot.

I'll get some photos uploaded tomorrow I should think.

farmer

Anything is possible I suppose.

The nearside seal is still sold from main dealer but the offside is NLA

I have a new pair in my loft.

Lets see the photos first before jumping the gun on anything.

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Okay, so here's the state of play with the leaking in the car........ And what led me to puncture the fuel tank!