• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty205xs

Leaking Sunroof

matty205xs

hi there, iv come across a rather big leak coming from the sunroof in my xs (the sliding vacuum suction type sunroof).

The aim is to seal up the leak with silicone sealant, depending on what needs to be done.

The difficulty im having is removing the interior roof lining as it is soaked in both front corners from the leak.

The trouble im having though is trying to remove the interior light unit so I can drop the front part of the lining down so I can get a better look at the problem.

If somebody could give me some step by step instructions on how to take out the roof lining, or some photos on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

matt.

allye

Don't fill it with sealant!! It's more than likely the o rigns that die on the handles you use to pull it back, I've changed 2 sets if these now and solved the leak both times.

Alan77

As Ali says, most probably the fibre washers on the outside of the sunroof handle. For such a little thing, they can cause havoc...

Still 30p each from the dealer, or pay many times that much on ebay. Someone on here might have loads in an open packet and help you out...

post-14615-0-03489300-1388483207_thumb.jpg

welshpug

if you look at the dimensions, then search M10 fibre washer, you can get a hundred for less than one ebay seller sells a pair for (which happens to be 10x the dealer price, where the seller buys them from himself)

will1991

I've known leaks as a result of the external sunroof frame seal failing, which let a considerable amount of water into the headlining which then poured out at the corners.

The owner just used tiger seal around the edges of the frame and it was instantly cured. He did a good job as well, you can't tell at all.

Weser

I fixed my leak with the washers.

pugdamo

I have had a leak through the front plastic trim,inside the car there are 2 screws inside the trim that the interior light fits into.I removed the trim then water tested the car,i saw the water dripping off one of the screw heads.

As said sunroof handle seals fail for a past time,also have seen the drain tubes on the sunroof frame rot out also worth checking the sunroof drains arnt blocked,if you slide the glass back and pour water into the drains in the sunroof frame you should see it pouring onth the floor by the sills.

A few things to check anyway

matty205xs

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try and have a look at the washers and see what condition they are in. The drain tubes were one of my first thoughts so I checked them with pouring water down them and they both seem unblocked but will check to see they are not rotten. Iv managed to pull down just enough of the lining to get a slightly better look and it seems that most of the front of the roof under the lining is covered in water droplets, like condensation. Have no idea what could be causing this, all I know is that its adding to the amount of water that's already leaking into my car. Any ideas?

Thanks Matt.