• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Beam Stripping Help

dirtdog

Sorry if i'm being a total berk but i'm a bit stuck. I 've been using the guide in the list of "articles" but I'm having a little trouble. The guide is confusing me a bit, I have managed wind in the ford nut without stripping any threads, one side worked the other not so much.

The ARB came out one side so I tried to push the end plate/arb lever (?) back on to pop the other side off for paint prep'.. I've cleaned the spline and greased it so it slides on easier but the missus was still asleep and won't be impressed with me waking her by smacking it with a BFH...and before I ruin something I thought I should find some advice here lol

I'm left with a free plate...the other plate is still attached to the ARB and has not been pressed off or out of the crosstube. Would I be right in saying bang it back on carefully with a hammer and some grease...or use the puller device described in the article using a 8mm bolt,nut,washer and socket to pull the plate off the ARB ?

In the mean time i've started to scrape away the recess for the offset washer. I can't seem to get it to move just yet so some more penetration oil and persuasion with a hammer is needed, a little worried about damaging it too much.

The guide says ......."Using the largest flat-headed screwdriver you have, gently attempt to screw the stud in to the bar (weird I know but trust me on this for a minute). If this is a definite no go then attempt to unscrew the stud."

Why would I try to screw it in? I''ve loosened both studs and the locking nuts and managed to crack off the T40 bits at either end, but i'm now confused as to if the stud should be screwed all the way into the bar, or screwed all the way out?

Praying the beam isn't flared and all it will need is some bearings, seals and arm shafts. Thanks in advance for any replies and again sorry if this is a stupid post or if it's been covered before.

Tom Fenton

Not sure what you are asking about the anti roll bar- once you have for one end plate off you can leave the other one attached. Hammer and a soft drift on the end of the anti roll bar will see it out of the main tune if it's a bit tight on the end plate seal that is still there.

Offset washer wise, a sharp chisel and a hammer usually gets them moving. Probably better to count on needing a new pair to be honest.

As for screwing the studs in or out, don't worry about that too much. Have you got one or my pullers? If so follow the guide on my website as to how to use it and with a bit of care you'll soon have the bars out.

dirtdog

I'll check your guide out tom, thanks. I don't have one of your torsion pullers but every scrap of information I can find is helping me. Just peeking at a few videos on youtube aswell which is helping slightly.

The ARB is stuck inside because it's still attached to one arb lever which is fully seated. I originally pulled the ARB out on on ARB lever but put it back in to push the other lever off so I can clean them up easier. But it didn't work as i had hoped lol.

welshpug

remove the bolt on the arb and it should pull out with the bar like tom said, you should only ever remove the RH end plate from the bar, LH end should be left attached.

dirtdog

IIRC it is the left side that's stuck meirion. Cheers. So basically bang it out from the open end with a bit of wood giving the ARB end some protection and the lever should pop out. Cheers guys

Why is it the RH plate should not be removed?

welshpug

its the left plate that shouldn't be removed, as it sits fully on the splines, RH only partially engages, there's a different number of splines each end which if you dont start with the left hand in the correct place you'll never get it sitting flat.

but yes, if you have one off you should just be able to pull it out.

Edited by welshpug

dirtdog

Oops. I read that wrong sorry. Thanks again mei'.

I have read that they are diffrent but was planning on just marking them up with a paint pen or something similar...tippex even lol. Thanks for the info, saved me a lot of trouble