• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daniel306

Removing Wings

Daniel306

Anyone got any tips for removing the front wings? Or should i just buy two new wings from ecp if there good quality?

allanallen

I made a pigs ear of removing one the other day, I'd forgotten how hard it was to be honest.

Patience is the key, I reckon ideally you want a sharp, thin chisel and a Stanley knife. Cut the sealant where you can get at it then carefully tap the chisel into the bits you can't acces with the knife. Don't pull on the wing whatsoever, and don't go through the sealant too far with the chisel and dent the wing like I did!! Doh!!

Daniel306

Do you know if the Ecp wings are any good if i do dammage them?

Alastairh

Done a couple last month and took 15 minutes each.

Fresh blade in your stanley knife, i also used a blow torch very carefully on the heavily sealant packed areas but directed away from the wing in short spells at a time.

Al

Daniel306

Would a space heater in the shed and possibly a hair drier do the heating fine?

NFS

in my opinion pattern wings are just terrible, like above, fresh blade and spend 20£ on a blow torch,

2052NV

piano wire also works from what i hear but i have no tried it my self. am trying my best to never take a 205 wing off haha

allanallen

Not just sure where you'd get piano wire in to be honest?

NFS

if you wanted to go the wire way, got to a windscreen place and look through there bins ( sounds pikey) but they use wire to cut through the window sealent and will have s*it loads of waste and in good lengths aswell

welshpug

Large thin scraper works, with heat of course.

MikeC

If you want to re-use the panels (not damage paint) then a UV heatlamp will help to heat the panel and remove the sealant/bonding. The thatcham methods manual will help.

nick205

Removed one last night using wife's hair dryer to heat and loosen the sealant. Used a thin scraper and lots of patience to tease it off very slowly.... Only to find it was a pattern wing any way!

FireFly

On the subject of wings, I need a passenger one!

mowflow

Took both of mine off recently.

A bit of heat, sharp objects and lots of swearing worked for me in the end

I used a heat gun to soften the sealant then used various implements including stanley knife, wallpaper scrapper (hit with a hammer) and a big 12" super sharp kitchen knife. My NS wing had been removed before but was not a pattern part. Whoever fixed it was even more liberal with the glue than Peugeot though so it was a right bugger.

I tried a wire saw and cheese wire but there's no way of doing the back edge that runs down behind the front wheel using this technique. In fact, it was actually pretty useless on the other bits as well.

Remember to remove all the bolts first as well. These include 2 (i think) behind the bumper/valance, several along the top edge and another near the door that is accessible from inside the car.

As for pattern panels. Having had my first experience with one in the shape of something resembling the front headlight panel I can honestly say i'd rather try to salvage old panels than try make another pattern panel fit.