• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick205

B Pillar To Roof Rust And Crack Repair?

nick205

Hi All,

Recently started working on a body shell, which I want to use to re-shell another car with. Working from the top down, where the B pillar meets the roof, the common crack has appeared along with some rust.

How bad is this likely to be and what is the best repair method? I can MIG weld to a reasonable standard, but thin bodywork is not something I've had much practice with so far.

Any guidance would be appreciated, particularly if you have tackled the repair yourself (with photos would be a bonus).

Cheers

Nick

B%20pillar%20rust.jpg

pugfrank

I have the very same body repair to carry out, thought I would tackle it over the Christmas holiday break. The roof detail on my car has been badly bodged to try and create a repair, but the rust is coming through. Please can some one advise me in the process of repair and finishing the detail.

Cheers

James

crack_zps14a29248.jpg

pugfrank

It looks to have a sealant applied to the groove detail, where can I get this from?

I want to do the work myself, as don't have much money, so appreciate Im not going to get a professional paint shop finish but as long as it prevents the rust from spreading I will be happy.

Edited by pugfrank

Daviewonder

It's a gap that allows body flex. It should just be filled with seam sealer.

Anthony

Judging from the experiences that Jackherer on here had, I suspect that rust is far worse than it initially appears.

You'll need to do a search to find the thread and pictures, but it appears that it rusts from the inside outwards, and by the time it gets to the point where there's visible rust on the outside then it's likely to be very poor on the inside. Judging by what he said about the state of the panels he cut away from several scrap yard cars that appeared good on the outside, I suspect that area is going to be a problem on 205's in the future.

Both of those don't look too bad at the moment compared to some I've seen - usually when it goes you get rust bubbles about 3/4 inch either side of the seam, but you won't really know for sure until you attack it with a wire wheel and see what it looks like once back to solid bare metal.

chipstick

Without cutting it out completely and fitting a section from a 100% rot free replacement panel - what would be the most effective way of doing a localised repair?

Rubbing down either side and removing the old sealer is the start, but is there a recommended product to perhaps inject into the cavity to hold the rust at bay? I'd assume with even a clean solid exterior once rubbed back you risk leaving mositure and rot in the crevice which will continue to spread.

I appreciate I'm opening myself to 'the best way to fully get rid is to cut it out back to sound metal and fabricate a repair panel' but I'm interested in the next best method.

jackherer

If you look at the photos I posted in the linked thread you can see the small amount of rust on the outside was actually a massive amount on the inside and you can't access it from inside so cutting it out is the only possibility. I couldn't find any good replacement panels either, all the cars I looked at had corrosion once I started cutting the section out, I gave up after seven cars! In the end the bodyshop fabricated a new section in one piece and used a bead roller to make it look like the original two pieces.

Daniel306

I was planing to run the Tig welder along it but then it would need a fair bit of correction to get rid of the warp. Iv only got a small crack but the lower bit where the quartet meet the sill is starting to rust

pugfrank

My plan will be to get the wire wheel on it and see what I can see, if anything as buy the sounds of it the only real way is to cut the roof open to see the extent of rust from inside!! oh jees!!

pugfrank

I picked up some seam sealer today. Just wondered how you tool it up once you have applied it into the seam?? is it oil based stuff?

pugfrank

I raked out the crack, it looks like surface rust at mo which I have rubbed back as best as possible and now treated in rust converter. Do I prime with etch primer, apply some seam sealer then paint with some paint?

pugfrank

Thankyou for the insight. Cutting it out is big open heart surgery! Which I don't have the skill to do my self or the money for someone else to do for me.

boldy205

Dig out the seam sealer, treat the rust with a decent rust converter, have a search on here to find a good one. Then re seam sealer and prime/paint in rattle cans. sould preduce a half decent finish, if the painting goes wrong, you can just rub back and re finish.