• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Arwing

Any Rear Beam Experts Able To Explain This?

Arwing

Hi all,

Just finished swapping rear beams over and car has now gone for it's MOT. While it all fitted on fine, i did notice a few things that i hope aren't cause for concern....

Firstly, i noticed the length of the bars that the rear dampers attach to are shorter on my car compared to the donor beams. They still fitted though. Any reason for the length difference? (My car is a 4 door, the donor was a 2 door - not sure if that's a possible reason? Or maybe the year? - Mine is H, the donor beam is N).

1495510_10153645092855556_245139962_n.jp

Secondly, i decided to swap the bars over. However, while i got one side off, the other couldn't be removed as the bolt couldn't be pushed out as it was hitting the arm (see pic below). Is this normal? I mean, does the arm have to be removed from the beam in order to remove the bar (just one side), or was my axle more screwed than originally thought. Just to note, these bars could be removed easily from donor axle. The bolts had good clearance from arm.

1471084_10153645092640556_2044309047_n.j

Lastly, the ride height of the car at the back has raised a good few inches with the new beam on. Picture below was original height with old beam on which looked better IMO. Could this be because of that shorter bar??

1148968_10153177193830556_323575148_n.jp

welshpug

If they fitted the car they cant have been a different length...

as for the bolt not coming out due to the position of the trailing arm that is normal especially for a lowered beam, the pictured car looks typical of something either lowered or knackered, the nose up stance is certainly to be avoided if you want them to handle as intended.

Arwing

As far as i know it's never been lowered, but i have been told the beam had "issues" aside from the rotten brake plates by garages before. The fixtures must have lined up in order for it to fit, but my original bars were definitely shorter. Should have taken a picture of them both together before i put beam on car, but was in such a rush yesterday i didn't think about it. Will try and do a comparison photo when i get it back from the MOT.

Cheers for the reply.