• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Which Column Connector Is This?

Bovien

Is this the round or the square one? It looks very round to me, but while looking for one, I've never seen any other kind, so just wanted to check that I'm looking for the right one. This is from a PAS 309 column and I need to get me a connector, so I get fit it to my 205GTI non pas column.

So am I in the market for a round or a square? Will a round from a non-pas rack fit this?

post-22144-0-15209200-1386578796_thumb.jpg

welshpug

standard 205/309 pas splined rack (all are splined)

later manual racks are square, as are 306 and xsara (INC pas racks) early ZX used splined, but that column is too long (but splines are the same)

Bovien

Ah, so this is a "round" stud and later are square, right? Is it possible to see, without taking the column apart, which one I have? ('89 non pas)

In case it is not a round with splines, I wound need a round but the length might be different? If so, I understand it is possible to switch rods from the two?

welshpug

not sure what you mean by "rods" but if you intend on fitting a pas rack with the pictured pinion type then you need the shorter PAS type lower steering column from a 205 or 309, they are all the same fit, all splined.

Bovien

Ok, I'll look for a PAS, splined lower column.

What I ment was, that I think the lower column can be seperated at the joint, so you would be able to swap in the shorter "rod" of the column if you had the right joint but the wrong lenght. But if you say that I need all 205/309 PAS columns are another length than the non-PAS, I'll need one anyway :)

THanks

welshpug

ah, I guess you could do that if you got hold of the shorter PAS column, but in that case you might as well fit the whole thing seeing as it will fit.

I have never tried to separate the joints in the column, but I believe Tom Fenton has done.

Bovien

I'm having a REALLY hard time finding a lower column from a PAS 309/205. But I do see several splined from non-PAS cars. Will a non-PAS splined fit my 309 PAS rack installation in my 205? I mean; will it connect to the upper column and fit the 309 PAS rack and have the right length or do I need a PAS column?

Thanks

welshpug

it will fit each component but will be too long due to the pinion valve body making the pinion much taller.

• Like 1

Bovien

Thanks.. Makes perfect sense. I'll search for pas only. Else I will have to buy from Peugeot. That is 160£ though... Annoying..

welshpug

not so bad when you remember how long they last, and what a similar part could cost for some other perhaps German vehicle !

• Like 1