• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

Replacing 1.9 Outer Cv Joints

cRaig

I'm halfway through swapping my outer CV joints, Ive popped the old joints off with a bash with the joint bent over, thats all gone fine, I'm attempting to fit the new ones, so I have put the new circlips in the groove near the end of the shaft, but how are you supposed to get the joint over the circlip? Ive given it a good tap with a copper hammer, and it doesnt seem to want to go. I dont want to apply to much force to the joint if I'm doing something wrong.

Any tips or anything I'm missing?

Cheers,

Craig

welshpug

make sure the clip is sitting central in the groove, and that it hasn't opened up too much when you fitted it, often needs a good thump not a tap though :P

cRaig

I was quite careful to open it up the bare minimum to get it over the end of the shaft. I shall apply more violence and report back :D

welshpug

hold the shaft upright (ooeerrr!) so the clip doesn't drop to one side, IIRC the CV should have a slight taper leading to the splines so you shouldn't need that much force.

cRaig

Well, the CV has gone on over the circlip (its no longer visible) but now it appears to be very hard to get it to go on any further. Part of the problem appears to be my vice is a bit worn, so it isnt holding the shaft very well, so any tapping isnt really transferred into the cv joint.

welshpug

are you 100% the splines are correct?

cRaig

Not now lol :s The CVs were a tight fit, but they started off on the shaft fine, so I assumed the splines are fine. As I'm sure youve guessed, Ive not done this before, so its difficult to judge what is 'normal'

petert

I once sheared a circlip in two. If in doub, remove and do it again.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

cRaig

Have got the CV off the shaft, and have tried refitting the old CVs, and they slide on easily. So the conclusion is that the CVs are the wrong part. To the eye, the splines look identical, but they only line up enough to 'just' side on, whereas the old ones slide on right up to the circlip with no effort. Fortunately there was no damage to the splines when I had attempted to 'drift' it on :rolleyes:

I was quite careful when researching CV joints to get a ABS ring'ed joint which would fit, I'm a bit dissapointed either the part is incorrect, or I got it wrong..

Could someone confirm the spline count on the standard 1.9 shafts?

Thanks

Craig

brian j

That's weird because I bought the same amk joints that you did and mine went on fine. Are your shafts the originals or aftermarket? Are both cv joints tight or just the one?

cRaig

yep, they are TDL9483R's, which fit BXs and other cars according to the box. 23 internal splines. Like I say, they *nearly* fit, which is what confused me. I'm non the wiser at the moment if it is a manufacturing fault, or a part incompatibility issue. Both shafts are equally tight (oo err..)

I dont know if the shafts are original or replacement. They were bought off a chap on the forum, came off a low milage car (50odd thousand) so presumably original?

Is it likely that a non-genuine/ replacement shaft could be a different diameter/spline? I wish I hadnt got rid of my old/spare driveshafts or I could pop the CV off and compare them!

Edited by cRaig

cRaig

Does anyone have another further thoughts on this? I dont really have alot of experience with driveshafts, or swapping CVs. Im guessing its more likely that the CVs are at fault? I have counted, and the spline count on the new CVs is correct (23), but they really dont fit. Could it be a manufacturing issue, or did the driveshafts vary at all?

Cheers

Craig

Anthony

AFAIK you should be able to swap CV's and shafts around provided that they're the same spline count - I've done it before and obviously so has Brian above.

Later driveshafts (eg 306, Xsara) have more splines and won't fit.

cRaig

Yep, thats the odd thing, the spine count is the same, and as above, Brian has fitted the same parts fine to his driveshafts. The fact they they nearly fit is what is confusing me. They appear to be fairly standard 1.9 shafts, but I am none-the-wiser as to whether the tolerance issue is with the driveshafts or the new CVs. I guess instinct would suggest its the CVs, as they are a remanufactured part so more likely to introduce a margin for error? Obviously I dont want to spent money either shafts or CVs on the vague offchance of fixing the issue!

Anthony

Well, if you're passing Swindon way anytime soon on your travels I've got shafts here you're welcome to try them on.

• Like 1

brian j

yep, they are TDL9483R's, which fit BXs and other cars according to the box. 23 internal splines. Like I say, they *nearly* fit, which is what confused me. I'm non the wiser at the moment if it is a manufacturing fault, or a part incompatibility issue. Both shafts are equally tight (oo err..)

I dont know if the shafts are original or replacement. They were bought off a chap on the forum, came off a low milage car (50odd thousand) so presumably original?

Is it likely that a non-genuine/ replacement shaft could be a different diameter/spline? I wish I hadnt got rid of my old/spare driveshafts or I could pop the CV off and compare them!

I just checked through my receipts and my cv joints are that exact model. Made by amk. Either your job to are faulty or the shafts are different from mine. I'm 100% mine were original because they were 205 abs shafts with the 80(?) tooth cv joints.

Sorry you're having hassles. Hope you get it sorted...

cRaig

Thanks for that. Well, I gave one of the new AMK CVs and a CV off my driveshafts to Anthony, and it turns out the fault lies with the new AMK CVs, as my old one fitted fine on a known good 1.9 shaft, and the same problem occurred as I had.

Can anyone suggest any other decent CV brands or part numbers to try? While in theory the TDL9483R should fit, as Brian above found, I cant quite bring myself to buy the identical part and hope it fits this time! (definition of insanity and all that! :P)

Cheers,

Craig

brian j

Hey Craig - I guess you were unlucky. Sorry!

Are both of the joints wrong or just one?

I would be wary where you got the replacements from. I had a set before these from a factor that started knocking after about 2500 miles!

Perhaps it might be a plan to source a pair of good/used genuine drive shafts from a zx or 405 that used the joint and steal the joints?

Or perhaps order them into a factors near you and take the shaft in to try them before accepting them?

I will keep an eye on how you get on, because I was hoping to source a spare or two at some point.