• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Homerjay

Respray

Homerjay

Hi all

i have now visited a couple of bodyshops about getting my cars bodywork improved. the biggest issues are:

• doors and rear quarters have a few parking dents
  • tailgate is not original and has laquer and colour match problems.
  • rear valance was obviously red originally so needs respraying.

the idea of a full respray never really crossed my mind as i was thinking 2k minimum, but now both shops said rather than do the odd panel, then do a outer respray with windows still in place to keep costs down but still have a decent result.

shop 1

owd chap said £400 for the tailgate, £150 for the rear valance. he said dont bother with the doors. but a full respray would be about £1500. it seemed he wasnt really all that interested in the job to be honest. maybe he thought the result could not be guaranteed?

shop 2

younger lad who was far more helpful and took a real interest in what could be done, which parts would be removed and which would be taped. he basically said £1000 for filling and outer respray or another £150 for removal of windscreen and the trim, to improve the finish. plus another £150 to sort the very small rust patches inside the doors.

i dont have an issue with spending £1250-£1500 on a respray. i think thats reasonable value. provinding the results are decent and its not plainly obvious what has happened to the car.

i am also wary of both guys breaking clips and fixings and then expecting me to replace them. neither seemed familiar with 205's. (not sure if that matters too much?)

any thoughts/experiences?

basically should i do it? or will i feel let down by the end result?

welshpug

Personally if I was capable enough of stripping the car down myself I would do as much of the prep work as possible, so remove all external trim and bumpers, properly clean up the arches, remove door handles, window rubbers etc.

get a mate to help removing the windscreen, maybe get a pro to refit if needs be.

Homerjay

good shout, i think i can manage the basic preparation there. also the windscreen could be problematic as id still have to have it put back in.

what are your thoughts on the what the final job would look like. difficult i know. i am just wary of the amount of filler and paint quality.

Tom Fenton

My opinion is that you are better off getting parking pin dents taken out by a good dent man before any paint is done.

Regarding clips, yes stuff will break, its 20 year old brittle plastic, unless you get a magician on the job then stuff will break and you'll have to replace it.

NFS

You can only go by there previous work, did you see anything when you where there? a good finish is all in the prep. if its prepped right and they use good matirals then the result should be good.

Homerjay

My opinion is that you are better off getting parking pin dents taken out by a good dent man before any paint is done.

Regarding clips, yes stuff will break, its 20 year old brittle plastic, unless you get a magician on the job then stuff will break and you'll have to replace it.

the problem with that is the doors are like "corrugated cardboard" according to the 1st bodyshop bloke.

i didnt think they were that bad, but if im respray the door, i'd want it to look like new.

or is that asking too much?

You can only go by there previous work, did you see anything when you where there? a good finish is all in the prep. if its prepped right and they use good matirals then the result should be good.

they are both only a small shops, two cars in each.

i'd didnt take a massive amount of notice. which i regret.

will prob go back and have a nosey.

omega

well if you getting it painted why not get some better condition panels it will save you a lot of bother.

Homerjay

That did cross my mind but blue doors are tough to come by it seems.

NFS

if your getting a full spray and your going to leave things on like door handles and bits of trim, and also leave little dinks then you will defo be left disapointed. its heartbreaking getting a respray and noticing things that you should of taken care of but either thought that will be alright or missed it completely.

stuart

I'll PM you my mates number who has a body shop in Lostock Hall, very good (done Lotus, Bentleys, etc and also did some work on my 205 ecently) and I'm sure he'll be competative on price :) There's also a really good tinner in the same workshop if any welding needs doing.

Homerjay

if your getting a full spray and your going to leave things on like door handles and bits of trim, and also leave little dinks then you will defo be left disapointed. its heartbreaking getting a respray and noticing things that you should of taken care of but either thought that will be alright or missed it completely.

Exactly my problem.

What do you mean by little dinks?

I'm assuming all panels will be filled and sanded. But I'm not sure I want a car full of filler either.

I may still just wait until decent doors and tailgate turn up. There a door on eBay but it has a single nasty dent on the crease.

omega

but if you getting it painted it dosnt matter what colour they are

Homerjay

im (currently) only having the outside sprayed to keep costs down

NFS

why can you not keep the doors you have? if they have dnets then they can take them out at the bodyshop?

Homerjay

sorry for the delay.

theres a lot of dents to to pull out.

bodyshop said they would just fill.

but not sure if this a good or bad thing.

do i really want a car full of filler?

welshpug

get a dent man on it before sending it to the paint shop.

dobboy

Hi all

i have now visited a couple of bodyshops about getting my cars bodywork improved. the biggest issues are:

• doors and rear quarters have a few parking dents
  • tailgate is not original and has laquer and colour match problems.
  • rear valance was obviously red originally so needs respraying.

the idea of a full respray never really crossed my mind as i was thinking 2k minimum, but now both shops said rather than do the odd panel, then do a outer respray with windows still in place to keep costs down but still have a decent result.

shop 1

owd chap said £400 for the tailgate, £150 for the rear valance. he said dont bother with the doors. but a full respray would be about £1500. it seemed he wasnt really all that interested in the job to be honest. maybe he thought the result could not be guaranteed?

shop 2

younger lad who was far more helpful and took a real interest in what could be done, which parts would be removed and which would be taped. he basically said £1000 for filling and outer respray or another £150 for removal of windscreen and the trim, to improve the finish. plus another £150 to sort the very small rust patches inside the doors.

i dont have an issue with spending £1250-£1500 on a respray. i think thats reasonable value. provinding the results are decent and its not plainly obvious what has happened to the car.

i am also wary of both guys breaking clips and fixings and then expecting me to replace them. neither seemed familiar with 205's. (not sure if that matters too much?)

any thoughts/experiences?

basically should i do it? or will i feel let down by the end result?

I'm in a similar situation however.....

The first thing i done when i bought my car was to get "paintless dent repair" done.

I took my car to a fairly local guy and he took out 25yrs of wear and tear in less than 3 hrs.

He charged me £80

You need to see it work to believe how good it is. As long as the paint isn't broken and they can get behind the dent they can remove them.

If you have never seen it done (like me) here's how it works.

car park/trolly/arse dents gone.

They set up a white clip board mounted on a sucker, white with vertical black lines on it, adjacent to dents.

The vertical lines and their intensity when reflected on the car change shape.

They get in behind the dents with fancy long tools, and gently work the dents out.

Voila!

They disappear..... honestly it is well worth the money.... and no filler required at paint shop.

Since then, i have had two different painters come to see my car to get quotes.

I have all my bumpers and kit off, tailgate plastics, sunroof mirrors lights etc etc

The local polish guy said £700 and i've seen a few jobs of his which are very good.

Another guy who has a great reputation and an oven said £1500..... which includes removal and refitting of my front and rear screens (by ANother), doors off, sills, and underside of bonnet..... seen a few of his too.

Both very very good.

I've sought out and purchased most of the clips and bumper mountings required.... which is well over £300 worth from Pug. I had to buy bags of 10's, 20's, and 50's etc when i only needed a handful but due to minimum orders bla bla bla...... (So be warned).

Both will paint my new headlight panels and spray/blend into my engine bay. (see my car in my profile)

I have had to soure some clips from scrappies, which after looking at a handful of 205's, are hard to get.

The hog? clips that hold the tail gate moulding on (behind the badges)...... most are just powder, if you get one from a car you've done well.

The same hog? clips (but a larget version), that the horizontal part of the arches, and door plastics slip up in to..... again very very scarce.

(You could however bond all the plastics on permanently with tiger seal or something, but i opted to try get the right parts.)

ps. if you remove your sun roof trim yourself i would make sure the method you use involves taking the inside map light/reading light out first, as i read a thread on the net how to do it and it cost me replacing the lot of the trim.

pm me if you need any further info.

regards.