• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Danny205GTi

205 Gti Front Suspension Setup

Danny205GTi

Hi all. After much searching on the forum about suspension set ups I notice everyone has different setups on their cars.

I use my car for fast road and will occasionally use it on the odd track day. I would like it to be firmer than standard. Its a car I am gradually getting restore/improved

I run a gti6 engine qith xsara box

I intend to use on the front...

306gti6 bilstein b4 shocks

As I presume rebound rate will be greater than 205 b4 equivalent?

Pi 40mm springs as I have a set in the garage

309 gti lower arms and driveshafts poly bushed

On the rear I intend to use 15mm spacers to make reartrack slightly wider and gti6 b4 bilstein shocks, rear has also been lowered approx 40mm (done by previous owner) possibly solid rear beam mounts?

Will obviously replace all other components whilst doing job such as track rod ends. Arb tie links. Wheel bearings etc.

Is this a good set up or can someone point me in right direction?

Thanks in advance.

camgti

Don't run rear spacers. They are not safe. No need to make the rear end wider, will upset the turn it.

Not sure about the shocks, I've run koni yellows with a gti6 lump and found them awesome for road use with few track days. Try and leave the front spring rates alone unless your going to upgrade the rear torsion bars to match the front springs. Otherwise it will be unbalanced and tend to under steer. You can have the front springs reset to -40mm but try and make sure the wishbones are not pointing up. Too low on these cars kills their handling to no end.

For what you want, I would get a rear 23-24mm arb and leave the spring rates along until you can match the rear spring rates with torsion bars. 21mm will be all you need on the road.

Cam

pug_ham

On the rear I intend to use 15mm spacers to make reartrack slightly wider

As said, spacers aren't an ideal way around getting a wider rear track but if you really want to gain an increase in rear track width then a better way, other than trying to find a 309 GTI beam, is to fit the trailing arms from either a 306 GTI-6 or Xsara VTS which iirc give an approx 10mm extra track per side.

The 306 shocks aren't a direct fit, the arb droplink pick ups are in a different position on the strut body (height & angle)& won't match the 205 droplinks so you need to make changes to get them to fit, a search on here should find some topics covering this.

g

allanallen

The extra width on 306/xsara arms is from the different axle/abs bearing combo rather than the arms themselves.

camgti

Great advice from the above replies. Also a great way to gain a little camber and width for the back. Well also allow you to assess the state of the rear beam. Most are getting well worn now. Investing in a rebuild is a great way to tighten the rear of the car up.

Cam

Gman

Aren't the B4 rears supposed to be the ones to avoid?

Although a wider rear track may fill the arches better and, to some, look better; the best handling front wheel drive cars are typically wider at the front. Something to bear in mind in the pursuit of sublime handling.

I too use mine occasionally on track and I find my current setup perfect, although I would prefer stiffer springs for the track but expect that they may compromise the road ride. I run bilstein tarmac challenge spec shocks all round, eibach springs (lowers by approx. 30mm), with 309 bones and standard 205 shafts. I tried running 309 shafts but they bunched up too much going around bends and rumbled like hell. The tolerances are big enough on some 205s to allow normal shafts to be used without them popping out of the box on full lock.

The rear has 21mm torsion bars, 24mm ARB and 306 gti arms.

Although slightly stiffer if being used on a 205, the 306 B4 shocks won't be a huge step up from standard, although if you're still using old shocks then will still be an upgrade!

Edited by Gman

Danny205GTi

i only thought of using the 306 gti6 bilstein b4s as I thought they would be firmer than the 205 bilstein b4s?

thought 306 ones would be better to support extra weight of gti6 engine?

what would be a good front shock setup for approx £150 for the pair?

what rear shocks would be good for approx £100 for the pair?

is the 24mm rear arb 205 item or 309 item?

camgti

The arb can be from a gti6 and you can have it cut down or buy a 205 beam length bar from 309pug on here.

The setup Gman is running is almost perfect for road and track. A mate runs this exact setup although running koni yellow struts and its awesome.

Have a look at the bilstein site, I think the b4 are the ones you want. Others on here will advise.

The 306 shocks fit but are not designed to fit the 205 drop links etc. stay with the 205 gear.

Danny205GTi

ok, will stick with 205 gear.

front bilstein b6 = tarmac challenge? is that right? how do the below fair on price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-Front-B6-Sport-Dampers-For-Peugeot-205-GTI-1987-1-9-24-010382-/310780458494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A205&hash=item485bf575fe

rear bilstein b6, or would genuine Peugeot 306 gti6 be sufficient?

21mm tb, 24mm arb

can anyone can post any links etc if any better deals on parts price?

welshpug

B4 rears are fine these days, they have been revised, same part for 205 and 306.

Zx and xsara ones have a higher dampinh rate due to 21mm bars.

Danny205GTi

So I would have to have matching shocks all round?

Can anyone confirm if the above ebay items are what I need?

Does anyone have part numbers to confirm I am ordering the revised b4 items?

welshpug

They are the same part number.