• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Peugeot 205 Rust Help!

forbeslongden

Hey everyone,

I'm having some major league problems keeping tinworm from eating my 96' 205. It's been letting in water for sometime now, and it wasn't until recently that I discovered that rust has eaten into the body on the rear quarter windows on both sides letting water get into the rear foot wells also the car is letting in water through the front, possibly around the scuttle I'd presume.

Talk to me guys, what can be done here? Can I easily get a body shop to weld the metal under the window seals at the rear or is it a case of prevention rather than cure?

Also the scuttle? Is there a way of slowing that down before it rots the floorpan?

Any help would be gratefully received since this one is one of the last registered in the UK :(

DamirGTI

Once the rust sets in , the only real way to get rid of it forever is to cut off the affected area and weld in new piece of metal .

With rust remover/converter treatment you can slow down further rusting , i'd say from 3 to 6 years , maybe even up to 10 years with really good prep/clean up and using top quality rust treating product , until it re-appears again .

As for preventing , take an good look at entire bodywork ie. paint , paint cracks , loosen paint etc. and repair asap if you find any cracks in the paint layer , visible bare metal or rusted area . Eliminate moisture and air from entering underneath the chuffed paint towards the bare metal (or worse still , already rusted area) and the bodywork will remain rust free .

Do repair that rusted area as soon as possible , cos if left neglected it'll just continue to spread around quite fast (the more moisture/air , the faster it'll spread around) it'll spread even underneath the paint ("spider legs") where it will be "invisible" up to the point until it start bubbling of the paint and then it'll mostly be too late .

If the water enters inside the cabin from the rear side it'll be the rear quarter seals , these one are common problem as with age they shrink and thus are unable to seal up properly - do a search , theres an thread over here on how they can be fixed cos new ones are sadly NPF .

Also , buy an tube of windshield sealant , clean up the area underneath the windshield rubber seal and apply sealant all around underneath to make an barrier for the water/moisture in between the seal-glass-frame .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

forbeslongden

Thank you for your response, I'm going to whip out the windows and see what's going on under there, it's crumbly when pressed though so I really am pretty worried about what's going to be under there. Is it true there's a drainage plug in both rear arches too?

DamirGTI

To comfort you a little ... three days ago , after a while of ignoring i had a go with "opening a tin of worms" , this area was also covered with bubbling/crumbly paint and then this crap underneath :

1863726783a7c6fde8b02d41524dbeeb6d8a2ddc

... need an new doors now , and an respray :angry: .. if i where caught it at the beginning i could've mend it with rust remover/converter , but this amount of rust is beyond chemical repair if wanted long lasting repair . Not that it can't be done chemically , but i'd consider that a bodge job with such amount of rust .

There's no drain plugs in the arches , however , rear quarter seals do have a drain plugs .

Best luck

D