• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NFS

Whats This Arb?

NFS

Hi Guys,

Lowering my beam tonight i found that the ARB i had laying around from a previous (seized) beam is thicker than the one i have in the gti atm. what can you lot tell me about these to arbs?

the yellow one cam out of my beam that is on the car atm, the unpainted one was the spare

IMG_2075_zps88b45d11.jpgIMG_2079_zps3de1a622.jpg

allanallen

I can deduce from your picture that one is painted yellow and small and the other is un-painted and bigger!

Perhaps you could measure their diameters? Regardless,I'd just stick the bigger one in.

Al

Edited by allanallen

welshpug

looks like a 24mm 106 ARB, will need spacing out from the left hand side and bolting securely as it is shorter, before fitting the right hand side.

if it is a 106 arb you'll need 306/zx/xsara end plates.

jord294

If the yellow one came out of a 205 beam, I doubt it is 19mm

NFS

I can deduce from your picture that one is painted yellow and small and the other is un-painted and bigger!

Perhaps you could measure their diameters? Regardless,I'd just stick the bigger one in.

Al

Thanks, i tried mesuring the arbs but my tape mesure is s*it and i cant get a good reading

looks like a 24mm 106 ARB, will need spacing out from the left hand side and bolting securely as it is shorter, before fitting the right hand side.

if it is a 106 arb you'll need 306/zx/xsara end plates.

Humm if fitted in the 205 beam just fine with no spaces and also the ends are identical i thought that the 106/saxo and others where smaller on one end. the end plates that are on it look the same as the 205 ones i just took off the yellow one.

If the yellow one came out of a 205 beam, I doubt it is 19mm

not sure what you mean, the beam was sold to me as a 205 beam, it had drums so i was assuming it was a 1.6 beam did the arbs change?

jord294

To give an idea on the size of the bars, try putting open ended spanner over them.

205 Gti spec beams have 19mm torsion and arb

Tom Fenton

You cannot measure a round bar with a tape. Using open end spanners will get you within 1mm.

chipstick

You could measure the circumference to work out the diameter.

Miles

Yellow ARB's come out of Xsara beams too, but the spline looks too small for one of those

Dizzee stuff

If it turns out to be a 106 or saxo anti rollbar you could always make some hybrid brackets to fit it properly.

NFS

im not sure if it is a saxo/106 arb as i have the end plates that i took of my rear beam that came with the car when i stripped it, and it seems the same length

jackherer

It has the date 25/07/94 printed on it which precedes Saxos and Xsaras, AXs and ZXs were still being sold new then.

NFS

i would have thought that alot of you would know just by looking at the thickness of the bar to the thickness of the spline?

welshpug

no, you need to know the length too.

and its proper diameter.

Alastairh

My bets it being a base model 205 arb.

calvinhorse

My bets it being a base model 205 arb.

Alastair stop drinking

NFS

Measured them last night. Looks like the yellow one is around 16mm and the other one is a standard 19mm.

On another issue. How can I free a seized torsion bar. I have tried a slide hammer and bolt large socket extractor way. I have scrapped away all traces of dirt from both sides of the stuck spline. Using the slide hammer I managed to pull the whole trailing arm out so now I have the trailing arm and torsion bar on my bench. What's my options guys. Cheets

allanallen

Arm in vice, lots of penetrating fluid and either slide hammer or a drift and a big hammer, maybe apply some heat if you have the option. Failing that get it in a press.

Edited by allanallen

NFS

Thanks. That was my idea. I have left it over night in a pool of wd40. So it might free it up. Failing that is there anyone local to me that has a press and don't mind helping me put cheers

welshpug

SledgeHammer.jpeg

NFS

So what put an m8 bolt in the tb and hit it hard lll

welshpug

yup!

Support the trailing arm flat on a good block of wood or a concrete step so that the force goes into breaking the grip of the corrosion than bending the bar.

If you're not that tall you will need to stand on something stable to get a decent swing at the bar.

• Like 1

allanallen

So what put an m8 bolt in the tb and hit it hard lll

I wouldn't, try and get a drift that fits nicely, you'll soon f*** and smash the head off a bolt. Then you'll have a deformed or headless bolt to remove from the bar!

welshpug

deforming the head of a bolt is no problem at all, just wind it in by finger, that's the whole point of using it instead of hitting the end of the bar directly.

far easier and safer than trying to hold a drift whilst someone else swings a hefty lump of iron towards you.

Daviewonder

yup!

Support the trailing arm flat on a good block of wood or a concrete step so that the force goes into breaking the grip of the corrosion than bending the bar.

If you're not that tall you will need to stand on something stable to get a decent swing at the bar.

This works every time.