• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

When Is A Wheel Bearing Not A Wheel Bearing?

johnnyboy666

I have a strange noise which sounds like a wheel bearing humming when im going over 40ish

I had an advisory on the last mot for slight play in the rear drivers side wheel bearing, which I then swapped out for a drum with a newer bearing in (not brand new though) and the sound remained.

I assumed I must have got confused and done the wrong one, so I got a new drum and bearing and fitted it to the rear passenger side.

Still the noise is there! So either the used bearing was also no good and I need to change that for a new one, or theres something else mimicking the noise of a dodgy bearing.

It increases from a light hum at 40ish to quite a whirr at motorway speeds, doesnt change in different gears or coasting, and sounds to me like its coming from the rear passenger side

It could I suppose be echoing from somewhere else in the car but I cant think what. The driveshafts are less than 6 months old, and the gearbox isn't very noisy (slight hum but nothing unusual for an MA box

Theres no rubbing, or anything of that nature either

Any ideas, or should I replace the used bearing for new and go from there?

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of panel gap having a whistling effect as I speed up, but I think i'm clutching at straws with that one!

Tom Fenton

The drum bearings are pretty cheap so personally I'd change the unknown one before anything else.

Daviewonder

If you jack it up and spin the wheel with your ear pressed against the cars body, you should be able to hear the worn bearing rumbling.

309jazzpanda

Check the tyres aren't out of shape sounds odd but trust me you won't believe how many cars we get. In wanting a wheel bearing and its the tyre tread like a castle wall or shaped like a 50p

Edited by 309jazzpanda
  • Like 1

deathbringer929

If you jack it up and spin the wheel with your ear pressed against the cars body, you should be able to hear the worn bearing rumbling.

this, and better still put a screwdiver handle to your ear and the tip of the blade on the trailing arm. i thought this was a myth until i tried it myself.

• Like 1

309jazzpanda

It really does work

johnnyboy666

Bloody good ideas! The tyres are to be changed within the next month anyway, just need to give the rims a lick of paint before the new ones go on.

I'll try listening and probably change that other bearing anyway, and then if its still there when the new tyres are on, i'll need to do more head scratching!

rallyeash

Make sure the tyre is clean and jack the car up so the wheel can turn.

Turn the wheel slowly and have the palm of your hand rubbing the tread all the way around. Normally can feel then if the tyre has worn un even or if has gone egg shaped

Davy

this, and better still put a screwdiver handle to your ear and the tip of the blade on the trailing arm. i thought this was a myth until i tried it myself.

I remember laughing when hearing these stories of the old timers using 'listening sticks' to source worn bearings or strange engine knocks etc, then just recently we visited an old guy who had collected all sorts of old auto memorabilia and in among it there was... (I s*it you not!).. a 'Car Stethoscope Kit' still complete and in it's box!.. Turns out you can still get them...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tools-154006-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B001C0RYPG

As for your problem, If it's a wheel bearing thats as noisy as you describe then I'd expect to hear it if you just jacked it up and spun it by hand. Might also be worth swapping front and back wheels to see if the noise changes position (indicating it's tyre related). After that, then I guess I'd spend a few quid and try a new wheel bearing.

Stu

As above, could be a tyre, but equally it could be a sticking rear brake, on my old 182 Clio the rear brakes would stick all the time and it sounded just like a wheelbearing; free'd the sliders off to swap the pads one weekend and the noise went away!

Admittedly the Clio has calipers on the rear, but i'd say the theory applied...

309jazzpanda

Yep use listening sticks all the time here great for gearbox and all manner of faults

TT205

Have you double checked that the metal plate brake protector thingy (whatever it's name is :ph34r:) isn't binding against anything or has sheared it's mountings?

Mine made all kinds of noises when this was the case and I overlooked it for a while

• Like 1