• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
2-Pugs

Rear Beam Camber And Bearings Q's

2-Pugs

Hi all

Got another 205 recently to restore and the o/s wheel appeared to have a bit of camber. No problem, I thought, I'll rebuild the rear beam. Well I've just finished dismantling it all and two strange things have me puzzled. Firstly, the bearings, tube, and shafts appear to be in absolutely perfect condition. No obvious wear, no corrosion, no pitting, not even any witness marks. So that leaves me wondering, am I missing something? Is there anything else that might cause camber? Do I need to get measuring the shafts etc?

The next point may be related but also seems odd. I am aware that there are bearings with differing numbers of needles in them, from threads I have read on here on the past. Now, I am pretty sure this beam has never been rebuilt. However the outer bearings are different! One has many needles, one has fewer. That can't be right, can it?

Last question I have is I'm just deciding on colours for the various bits as I'll repaint it during rebuild. Anyone got any suggestions for what looks good, or equally, what colour the different bits originally were?

Anthony

Not the opposite issue and it's the N/S/R wheel that's showing insufficient camber (or even positive camber) from a bent stub axle?

Sounds like at least one side has been rebuilt using the rubbish spec bearings to me if they're different side to side.

All original beams will have the original 45 needle outer bearings fitted - any you find with the rubbish 30 needle ones have defo been replaced.

Tom Fenton

Check that you haven't got a bent stub axle.

Colour wise, originally the cross tube was a Matt yellow. The trailing arms I think were bare cast but look smart in black. The torsion bars were a matt red/orange colour. The pressed rear damper arms were plated.

Daviewonder

Check to make sure the trailing arms are a a matched pair.

• Like 1

Ryan

Could it be that one side has a 306 (or similar) trailing arm fitted?

2-Pugs

Thanks for the answers everyone. Anthony I guess you must be right about the rebuild. I've known this car getting on 10 years and it certainly hasnt been done in that time, and going on the usual rusty crappy seized up bits you always find, I presumed it had not been touched, ever. Either way it doesnt really matter now, as those bearings will be replaced.

WIll have a good look at the trailing arms, a bent stub axle is a possibility. Regarding the matched pair of trailing arms, or from a 305 suggestion - I didnt realise they should be matched as such? And any pointers on how I might identify this?

Thanks again all. I shall proceed :-)

Miles

As said the bearings should all have the full amount, Arm's do have part numbers on but I've never gone thru these yet, Always removed them in pairs but I know it's too late now but getting a Geo check before stripping down is worthwhile sometimes so you know roughly what you;ve got

Colour wise I go this route, Not quite OE

DSC00118-Copy.jpg

• Like 1

2-Pugs

NIce colour scheme Miles. What paint in particular, did you use there (or has anyone else got any specific recommendations for shades, or paint types) before I go wading into the ocean of choices and risk getting something that looks poor, or flakes off in no time

Miles

All Powder coated, not sure of RAL colours but a nice gloss red, yellow and black