• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Master Cylinders

ORB

I was thinking earlier, there must be a more compact master cylinder from another car make/model that will fit on a 205 servo that offers the same braking effort as standard but will fit nicely in a GTI6 conversion. Has anyone got any thoughts?

I'm just not happy with mine :(

• Like 1

welshpug

what have you got on there now?

ORB

D26AA76F-4820-40F9-8C0B-09E07B8E34E4-214

And to be fair, I don't think it likes the 266mm brakes too much

welshpug

have you done the usual servo/pedal box mods?

ORB

Yup, a few washers etc etc, probably needs more :(

welshpug

ahh, so not slotted the servo holes in the pedal box and moved it up at all then?

Anthony

How much clearance do you have around the MC?

Different 205 shells need differing amounts of work/modification to fit a GTi-6 and give reasonable MC clearance.

Certainly some would need far more than the servo/MC tilting using a handful of washers (don't like that method myself, but it does work)

I had to do a lot of tinkering and modification on my own 205 GTi-6 to gain sufficient MC clearance without resorting to cutting the belt cover or grinding away at the MC, but that paid off and I now have a good 5-10mm clearance and no contact issues. The problem is that some of the work would be very hard to do with the engine in the car, which is why I ended up having the engine in and out of mine several times before I was happy with it.

In answer to your original question, as far as I know, all MC's that will directly fit a 205 are roughly the same external dimensions give or take.

ORB

I inspected the area with a little more care and it looks like a tiny bit of the bottom of the MC I'd rubbing on the plastic cam belt cover. But very little at most. Do you think that this would cause the horid feedback?

I also noted that the nearest coil cover stud is rubbing on the MC, but this is only on very sharp engine movements as it's quite a way away and very little contact is evident.

I really really don't want to have to take the engine out again!

Anthony

Any engine-MC contact will result in feedback through the pedals and bodyshell.

If you've got contact on both the belt cover and the coil cover (presumably you've trimmed the corner off this already?) then it sounds like you'll need to move the MC/servo upwards if possible to give clearance, as well as limiting engine movement as much as possible.

rallyeash

Sorry to hijack thread but rather than post another thread I thought I'd ask on this one.

I've just ordered a 406 mc for a mates 205 were building. It turned up yesterday but only has 2 outlets for brake pipes. What have I ordered?! It's a new brembo one for a 406 1.8 16v.

Guess I could just run 1 line to the front and one to the rear then split to each wheel.

Anthony

You've ordered an ABS (2 port) one. You need a non-ABS (4 port) one, or - as you're suggesting - to T-off one of the brake lines.

rallyeash

Makes sense!

ORB

Update - nasty feedback/vibration is gone. I further adjusted the MC and there is not contact at all. Feels like it should now.

Although I am going to put on a bigger capacity MC as the pedal still feels too long

welshpug

Are you on discs on drums?

If drums then i would check the adjustment of the brake shoes, shouldnt need much tension on the handbrake cables to acheive a decent travel on the lever when the shoes are set right, and this will shorten the pedal travel a bit too.

ORB

No mate, still on the 1.9 rear end

(266mm 206 GTI front brakes)