• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thedude2u

Looking For An Impossible To Find Suspension Part (In Usa)

thedude2u

All,

I am in a bit tight spot. During disassembly of my 1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6, I have misplaced a critical suspension component I need to install my GroupN setup. It is the strut top retaining washer/cup. I have looked everywhere for this missing piece and I fear I may have thrown it away with some of the other rusty bits. Does anyone have 1 to 2 of these washers for sale or know where I can purchase online for shipment to the USA? I'm looking for a washer with the rubber intact. My GTI has over 100k miles and is quite worn.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can paypal for parts and shipping.

Cheers,

Joe

post-24097-0-93986600-1381329273_thumb.jpg

welshpug

5212 13, also used on the 405, should be around a fiver in the UK.

thedude2u

The part doesn't seem to be readily available online. I am trying a couple of places I have ordered from in the past. (PugRacing, Spoox, 205Nuts, etc...). Thanks for the part number. That is a huge help. I didn't know the official name of this part.

welshpug

SHOCK ABSORBER CONTROL CUP

Chris H

If your struggling i have some second hand ones you can have for free, just pay the cost of postage to the US

MikeC

Pretty sure i have my old ones (which were fine) as above if Chris H can't help, postage only, better than putting them in the bin :D

thedude2u

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe I have a source now. I will keep the other offers in mind in case my source doesn't come through. I am very excited to get my 205 GTI on the road in the USA. I will post pics once the suspension/brake transformation is complete. I am basically replacing everything!

Cheers.

Joe

MikeC

Joe

Just a bit off topic but my brother lives in califonia, and he was wondering about importing either a 205 or a lancia, is there any major restrictions?

Mike

thedude2u

purchased it and had it shipped to Michigan. As I understand, the process is quite simple for vehicles that are 25 years or older. There are no safety or emissions requirements for vehicle that are 25 years or older. You should only need a bond release to register the vehicle in your particular state. California adds another level of complexity as vehicles manufactured after 1975 must pass a smog test that is representative of the emissions levels when the vehicle was manufactured. Therefore, all OE emissions equipment must be in place and the car must be in good running order including fuel, ignition, catalyst, egr, etc... To my knowledge there are no safety (MOT) checks in California when is comes to registration. So your car can have no brakes and bald tires and pass...a long as is doesn't pollute :)

Tell your brother to import a 1.6 or 1.9 from 1988 or older to be eligible for importation.

thedude2u

Also tell him to import a Lancia Delta Integrale 16V for me :) The prices on those cars seem to be skyrocketing!

Anthony

To the best of your knowledge, is that emissions levels in CA or the country that the car was originally registered in? I assume the former?

Getting a pre-catalyst UK car (which all 1988 and earlier examples would be) through a CA emissions test would be a nightmare I'd imagine without a fair bit of retrofitting, and I don't know how funny they would be at it not being the original engine management for that age/model for example - given that as far as I know the 205 was never sold in the US (only the 405 and older models) I guess that they probably wouldn't know.

thedude2u

From what I have gathered, legal registration of a 25 year direct import in California does require lab CARB certification (note: not a typical smog check). This does not apply in other states such as Michigan where registration of a 25-year import is relatively easy. I cannot seem to confirm whether or not they require you to meet the standards of when the car was originally manufactured, or if there is some other standard they require you to meet that may require emissions equipment retrofit. I don't believe they are that strict as there are plenty of examples of Ferraris, Porsche 959s, etc... that have made their way through the certification process. Granted these owners have much deeper pockets than the typcial 205 owner. I haven't heard any horror stories from these owners about equipment retrofit. I believe as long as your car reasonably meets its original design for CO, NOx, HC, fuel evap, and it has all original emissions equipment in place...it has a good chance of passing.

There is a chance I may be moving to California (Palo Alto) in the near future so I will keep you posted. I also have a 1975 Ferrari 308GT4 that should be smog exempt. I am going to consider having my company cover the costs of the 205GTI lab tests so that I can register it in Calfornia. I have heard costs ranging from $1500 to $8000. Makes an MOT look like the bargain of the century!

Joe

MikeC

Cheers Joe for the info, i have passed it on. It is indeed a 16valver lancia he is after, event though i'm trying to convince him otherwise :ph34r:

He has deepish pockets considering him driving around in an S8, so i'm sure he could get the necessary work done.

One thing i noted when i was out there last was, many garages tend to charge a premium for working on many german cars, hence my holiday ended up being a working holiday :(

Also, that part is still here if ya need it

nour_peugeot

if you still need the's part i can help you :)