• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
commievid

Quick And Dirty Location For 1.9 Brake Compensators?

commievid

Ok, I'm happy to be shot down for this and at this stage I'm only just thinking about possibilities.

I simply don't know what's going on with my ABS compensators on my 205, nor whether they are the cause for a close shave on my MoT regarding brake imbalance, but it's one of those things that'll bite me sooner or later so am formulating some ways to sort it out.

The obvious way, of doing it how it originally should, fills me with dread, due to the need to drop the fuel tank slightly to get enough access to essentially replumb new brake lines to allow for the original compensators.

So I had another look underneath, and I've subsequently butchered this shot of the ABS compensator from another thread to illustrate what is a bodge admittedly:

DSCF0606_zps9a439ad0.jpg

Basically, before the brake line enters the ABS compensator, if I could get an M12 brake union onto it, then a normal compensator could be attached. Theoretically, if the hose coming out of the ABS compensator is an M10 union, then it should also be possible to be screwed into the normal compensator on the other end?

Doing it this way would only mean I need to cut and reflare the two brake pipes coming into the ABS compensator, and can be removed once the hose is attached to the new compensators. Would also mean no faffing about with different hoses and brackets.

Does that make sense? Are there any obvious problems (the brackets and whether its secure enough is one thing that springs to mind)? Is it a stupid idea?

jackherer

Dropping the tank isn't difficult and it's worth checking for corrosion above it every now and then anyway.

harryskid

If thats the bottom of your car its looks a bit crap and dropping the tank to have a look would be a good idea!

Anthony

If the brake lines are original, I'd be dropping the tank to replace them regardless - typically the original brake lines are in very poor condition above the tank where you can't see them.

I don't fancy your chances of re-flaring old brake pipe to fit a new union either, particularly on steel pipe.

As above, dropping the tank isn't that difficult - all I will say is to make sure you've as little fuel in the tank as possible (ie fuel light on constant) and clean the threads on the two studs to remove as much corrosion as possible and douse liberally with WD40, penetrating spray or whatever so that you don't snap them. Oh, and you'll almost certainly need a new clip for the fuel filler pipe where it connects to the tank - a jubilee is fine.

dcc

why didnt you read what he put HarrySkid?

Daviewonder

If you're dropping the tank then clean up under the arch first, otherwise you get loads of mud and grit dropping down into the tank neck as you drop it down.

Also when refitting it's easier to push the tank neck up into the filler hose than it is to push the filler hose up onto the filler pipe.

Edited by Daviewonder