• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NFS

Steering

NFS

Hi, just finishing up my 205 restoration and on the test drive the steering was dangerous it felt like the ball joints where really gone, i have about half a turn on the steering wheel to keep the car straight under accelerating, so i checked the ball joints and there was some play that looks like the ball joint on the pass side had gone, so i replaced it with a brand new bone expecting it to be fixed, i took it for the test drive and its the same, under braking and acceleration i have to move the steering wheel half a turn left to keep it straight.

soo i took the steering rack off and found that the pass side boot had a split and this is what i found underneath, would this really cause the steering to be deadly?

IMG_2001_zps8972dd82.jpg

IMG_2002_zpse35ed91b.jpg

IMG_1998_zps7c0f5695.jpg

IMG_1997_zps01653559.jpg

IMG_1999_zps8f23c6c6.jpg

IMG_2003_zps706a1747.jpg

is there anything missing from the rack? i can littrally wobble the shaft inside the housing, is that normal?

allanallen

Is there any play in anything?rack, column etc? What are the bottom ball joint holes like in your hubs?

NFS

I havent checked for ovral holes in the hubs, i have replaced for new both lower arms, drop links and tie rods.

once i took the rack off i can wiggle the toothed shaft around in the rack body about 5-6 mm of play

welshpug

that will not help but I doubt will be the specific cause of that much movement.

Miles

It will be a little nylon bush in there worn out, very common these days, you can still buy them thou

NFS

does anyone know where there is a rebuild guide for the racks and where i can get the bush locally as i wanna do it tonight.

NFS

is there not meant to be a bush on the drivers side or a stopper bung?

NFS

is the bush a pug dealer only part? i cant seem to find them anywhere

Miles

I would think it's Pug only, No reason for anyone to make a pattern part for it, you can get bronze versions thou from AB motorsport

NFS

Thanks does anyone have a part number? i wanted to see if i could get one today or tomorrow. thanks

DamirGTI

4006 09 - rack bearing

18480771e1c2bd44601c93047f371c1cccd6858b

D

Edited by DamirGTI