• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanThompson

205 Xs Rally Car Brake Help

DanThompson

Hi, my 205 xs rally car currently has 1.6 gtI front hubs calipers and discs with ds3000 racing pads, on the back it has standard drums, im wanting to put discs on the back and possibly bigger brakes on the front, is the only way to get discs on the back to put a 1.9 gti rear beam on? And is there any bigger/ better brakes for the front while still being on 14" rims?

Thanks

Dan

welshpug

firstly, you need to ask yourself why you think you need discs on the back and larger brakes up front with an XS?

surely with the system in good order and plenty of meat on your DS3000 pads they should be more than sufficient of reigning in your 85 bhp? I know they certainly are on a friends 1.6 gti rally car with yellows up front and a standard 1.6 rear end.

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.html/_/articles-guides/brakes-suspension-steering/205-front-hub-differences-what-brakes-fit-etc-r90

that will answer most of your questions.

DanThompson

the front brakes arent the issue although they could do with being powerfuller, the rear dums are absolutley shocking though, the handbrake has almost no effect (i know i dont need it on every corner) but we are struggling to get them to work so we are going for disc brakes.

welshpug

if you get them working properly, a drum will outperform a disc brake rear end any day.

allye

As WP says, if not a decent standard set up a 1.6GTI beam will be better for you! I remember seeing some rallye boys actually changing from disks to drums on the rear for the improved hand brake!

matt.f

My handbrake worked really well on my old 205 with drums on the back!

Chris H

As others have said above, if your having handbrake issues there is something wrong with your current set up. A 205 with a rear brum set up will harnd brake great, we have a 1400 rallye at work and we all love driving it due to the handbrake being so good.

Check every thisng is working ok, cables arent siezed etc. Make sure you slacken the cables and adjust up the shoes first before adjusting the cable for the final adjustment.

As for the front brakes, 1.9 gti brakes fit under 14" gti wheels and i've found them better than 1.6 setups.

shawsburypug

I find with my 1.6 gti pug, i started off with EBC red stuff pads on the front, they were great, but once completed the rally and looked at the car, the pads had broken up and come off the back plates. For the next rally i got some EBC yellow stuff pads, they are better than the red stuff pads.

And as the rear end is, i run drum brakes and they work as well or better then discs.

Tom Fenton

Changing the rear to discs for a better handbrake isn't recommended. On the road rally car Allan and I have been discussing changing from discs to drums for a better handbrake.