• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

Juddering Under Braking

stuart

Before I did the mi16 conversion my car had been juddering under braking.

When I did the conversion I swapped the drive shafts and wishbones to a 309 setup, changed the discs / pads and fitted a power steering rack (new track rod ends) and for a few hundred miles it was ok.

Then a while ago the juddering reutrned for some reason, so a couple of weeks ago I removed the discs and cleaned up the drive flanges (they'd been powered coated at some point). It seemed to be better for a few days but it's started again and seems to be getting worse...

Anyone have any ideas what else could be causing this? Short of changing the wheel bearings, which don't seem to have any play in them, I'm a bit stuck...

Thanks in advance

Stu

Rich_p

my friends 306 has the most horrendous brake judder I've ever experienced, it feels like the dash is going to fall off!

Had a look the other day and I think it might be a knackered bottom ball joint. There's no left to right play on the wheel when the car is on the floor but you can push the top of the wheel forward and back and it knocks/clicks

Edited by Rich_p

welshpug

If the drive flanges have been cleaned up you need new discs, the uneven wear from running on an uneven flange will cause wobble when its on a straight hub.

Check the runout on both, figures are shown in the haynes manual

Edited by welshpug

stuart

Thanks, will get them checked out and refaced if necessary then.

I'll check the balljoints and hubs for ovality too whilst I'm at it, although were fine a couple of thousand miles ago.